ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (150/441) > >>

x16wda:
I'd say it'd be pretty easy to get lost in there...
-tomos (May 04, 2015, 03:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sometimes a mindless escape into a gadget is the only sanity break we can get. Scroll around, load a new app, check the weather next week -- then once more unto the breach.

IainB:
I'd say it'd be pretty easy to get lost in there...
-tomos (May 04, 2015, 03:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sometimes a mindless escape into a gadget is the only sanity break we can get. Scroll around, load a new app, check the weather next week -- then once more unto the breach.
-x16wda (May 04, 2015, 08:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I think it's escapism - which is harmless in small doses - but the trouble with escapism is that, if it is prolonged, then it can become too much of a good thing, whereupon such a putatively relaxing "mindless escape" can become a real time bandit where one can spend a great deal of one's cognitive surplus (and experience of life) in playing with (say) a smartphone, or watching TV, or something.

Having discovered that to be the case for me with an HP Palm some time back, I had to try to be more self-disciplined. I would have no desire to succumb to a new temptation manifested in the form of a smartphone, unless I have a real and defined business use for it.
I guess there's a dividing line between "play" (where one can risk learning and then practicing something) and "mindless escape".
Quite different to daydreaming, which seems to be an entirely natural and potentially useful way for the mind to think and reflect at random/whim, and to sometimes come up with new ideas.

TaoPhoenix:

I think phones are more than an amplifier.

Except for minor "we forgot how to watch for people", they are changing our lives in many ways for the good because people can get "minor" things done in ten minutes that used to take three hours. (Without being rabid) a few texts, check the web for something, a map, sometimes the gps, I like my timer-stopwatch, and more.

cranioscopical:
There's a literalist in every crowd.  When another drinker challenged the guy to go toe to toe he put his foot in his mouth I'd say.
-MilesAhead (April 25, 2015, 02:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
What a heel!

MilesAhead:
There's a literalist in every crowd.  When another drinker challenged the guy to go toe to toe he put his foot in his mouth I'd say.
-MilesAhead (April 25, 2015, 02:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
What a heel!

-cranioscopical (May 05, 2015, 07:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

The man obviously lacks soul.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version