ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (149/441) > >>

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"

Google patches Password Alert after flaw exposed - CNET

Interesting "stuff"

Digital Life - Time to put down that smartphone

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"

The Internet's dark side you don't use

MilesAhead:
-Arizona Hot (May 03, 2015, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

A lot of people in Miami do phone no matter what else they are doing.  Biking down the street.  Skateboarding.  Driving their cars.  Walking.  On trains and elevators.  I see people using it as a mechanism to avoid dealing with people.  I see many people scolling the same text up and down.  Perhaps if it is class notes it is useful for studying.  But I think mostly it is used to be alone in a crowd.

When not reading or looking at photos they are talking to someone.  I don't know who it is on the other end of the line at 4:00 AM.  Maybe they are pretending thinking if they are in contact wih someone they cannot be mugged.  Like the News Cameraman who thinks because he has the violence in the frame it cannot reach through to him due to nebulous magic.

When I hear people speak I don't look to see who is talking.  I just assume they are talking into the phone.  I often wonder who listens to the drab play by play.. "I'm crossing 8th street.  I'm almost to the other side.  I'm stepping up on the curb..."  Is anyone really listening to that drivel?  Or maybe they pick up the hand set every few minutes and say "Uh huh."  Perhaps it is Cortana.  :)

I thought it would be a great thing when cell went flat rate.  Way wrong on that one!    :)

Renegade:
-Arizona Hot (May 03, 2015, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

A lot of people in Miami do phone no matter what else they are doing.  Biking down the street.  Skateboarding.  Driving their cars.  Walking.  On trains and elevators.  I see people using it as a mechanism to avoid dealing with people.  I see many people scolling the same text up and down.  Perhaps if it is class notes it is useful for studying.  But I think mostly it is used to be alone in a crowd.

When not reading or looking at photos they are talking to someone.  I don't know who it is on the other end of the line at 4:00 AM.  Maybe they are pretending thinking if they are in contact wih someone they cannot be mugged.  Like the News Cameraman who thinks because he has the violence in the frame it cannot reach through to him due to nebulous magic.

When I hear people speak I don't look to see who is talking.  I just assume they are talking into the phone.  I often wonder who listens to the drab play by play.. "I'm crossing 8th street.  I'm almost to the other side.  I'm stepping up on the curb..."  Is anyone really listening to that drivel?  Or maybe they pick up the hand set every few minutes and say "Uh huh."  Perhaps it is Cortana.  :)

I thought it would be a great thing when cell went flat rate.  Way wrong on that one!    :)

-MilesAhead (May 04, 2015, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Some good points and well raised.

What I have noticed is that smart phones are nothing but an amplifier or magnifying glass for what people normally do.

One thing that I have noticed over pretty much my entire life is that if I didn't move while walking down the street, I'd hit people everywhere because nobody looks where they are going. And that goes back to before smart phones were a thing.

One of these days, I should just walk down the street with a phone in hand and ignore where I'm walking. Actually... no. I tend to walk much faster than most people and I could hurt someone if I did that, so I wouldn't. (Could also be because I'm Canadian. :P ) But I'd like to so that I'd know what it's like to walk around oblivious. I've actually tried it at slower walking paces, and guess what... people just don't move at all. It's like they're zombies.

I think most people just want to tune out from the entire world around them. I don't know why.

tomos:
... I see people using it as a mechanism to avoid dealing with people. ...
-MilesAhead (May 04, 2015, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think most people just want to tune out from the entire world around them. I don't know why.-Renegade (May 04, 2015, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I got myself a cheap smartphone lately - so far I hardly use it any more than my old button phone.
I was having a coffee on my own in town Saturday, sitting outside - and started messing with the settings and letting it apply an update for the wifi - at one stage I looked up and it was actually a shock to see the 'real' world. It amazed me how 'not-there' I was while messing with it.

I'd say it'd be pretty easy to get lost in there...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version