ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (127/441) > >>

40hz:
i know society expects its girls to show diffidence when criticizing boys. but come on!
-Gwen7 (February 11, 2015, 11:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

@gwen - I don't think that was a factor in Edvard's reply. I think it's more a reflection of the vibe around here. The feeling at DoCo is that you can get your shots in, or toss in the occasional bit of well-intentioned snarkiness, without much fear of genteel reprimand. But make too regular a habit of it - or run with it a little too long - and people here tend to call you on it.

This is an unusual forum. It's more like a family dinner conversation than anything else. And it has very similar social "rules." Ms. Maltese video bumped into that I think. An occasional face pull or air quote would have been fine. But the overall tone was rather sarcastic. And since it runs around 15 minutes, it can get a little tiring after a while. Even I was getting a little impatient over it. And I agreed with a large amount of what Ms. Maltese was saying.

My feeling is you can call somebody out in a debate without recourse to 15 minutes of subtext and pantomime that is basically saying: "This moron is full of it! He doesn't know what he is talking about." Truth is, I'd have found it far more acceptable if she just bluntly said it up front - then went on to the rest of her presentation sans most of the drama following.

But it was TV (even if it's half YouTube) and that's the behavioral norm for that weird kingdom - which is probably not worth defending - any more than it's worth letting it get to us.

The whole problem with alluding to something is it leaves the message too much up to individual interpretation. Which often differs from what was intended and leads to misunderstandings. Even a simple forum post runs that risk. Even when you're trying to be explicit. As I think is the case with something you heard in Edvard's post. And which I honestly do not think was his intended message at all. We've somehow managed to keep ourselves remarkably free of most of that "battle of the sexes" nonsense. Perhaps, being human, our track record isn't absolutely perfect on that score. But I think it comes pretty close. And we do try.

I don't think anybody (consciously or subconsciously) was trying to "mansplain" (is that the word?) anything. I just think Edvard was saying - "Enough with the digs and editorial glosses already. We get it! You think he's a con man. Now can we just move past that and get to the substance of your arguments please?"

:)

wraith808:
i know society expects its girls to show diffidence when criticizing boys. but come on!
-Gwen7 (February 11, 2015, 11:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Please don't make this a gender issue.  I was over that in high school.

I took issue with Ms. Maltese's critique because she's obviously personally offended about some guy getting attention for his unconventional archery skills, so much so that she had to make a "snarky" video rebuttal.  When I say "snarky" I mean pretty much what 40Hz said.  There's really no reason to say much of what she said without thinking that she was taking the whole thing a little too personally.  Air quotes?  Seriously?  Friend pulling faces to illustrate her frustration?  Really?
-Edvard (February 12, 2015, 12:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed.  And since its been made a 'gender' issue, let's show another with just as much snark that I disagree with the tone just as vehemently.

http://geekdad.com/2015/01/danish-archer/

He even starts out with a title that shows his disdain.  It takes away from the validity of his arguments.  It has nothing to do with the gender, but more to do with your aim and where you're coming from.  I disagree with him trying to add historical embellishments, and think that should be corrected.. but there is no imperative towards being an ass while doing it, as geekdad seems to think.

40hz:
And since its been made a 'gender' issue, let's show another with just as much snark
-wraith808 (February 12, 2015, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd like to think it was a simple misunderstanding and not go there at all if that's ok. :) 8)

wraith808:
And since its been made a 'gender' issue, let's show another with just as much snark
-wraith808 (February 12, 2015, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd like to think it was a simple misunderstanding and not go there at all if that's ok. :) 8)
-40hz (February 12, 2015, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wasn't trying to 'go there' as much as I was trying to illustrate that it's not a gender issue.  :Thmbsup:  Onward!

Gwen7:
to:edvard,40hz,wraith808: it was nothing more than me getting overly touchy. i was having a very bad day when i posted that. please accept my apology. :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version