ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (122/441) > >>

tomos:
lol at the pope :)

(see attachment in previous post)
Panasonic Lumix CM1 First Impressions Review
-Arizona Hot (February 02, 2015, 06:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

cant see this doing that well - high-end point & shoot's have been getting very fancy of late (with prices heading towards the 1000$ mark).
They have zoom (usually not that much, but still a big factor) - but then I guess this has a phone....

TaoPhoenix:
lol at the pope :)
-tomos (February 07, 2015, 03:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Doesn't he get his email from God?
 :D
(Basement Warning!)  : )

Renegade:
Dandelions good for a garden???

http://104homestead.com/8-herbs-permaculture/

1. Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale)

Say what? You want me to let this weed in my garden??? Surprisingly, dandelions – like many weeds – benefit our garden in many ways, the most important of which is fertilizer. Dandelions reach deep into the subsoil with those long taproots, dredge up important nutrients, and store them in their leaves.

Dandelions excel at accumulating potassium, phosphorus, calcium, and a handful of other nutrients in its leaves, which are important for healthy plant growth. When those leaves die back or are cut back and left to decompose, they fertilize the soil.

I let dandelions grow in my vegetable garden and it is common to encourage dandelions to grow in orchards under fruit trees. Dandelions increase earthworm populations, which is good for healthy soil.

About once a month I snip the leaves off and compost them in place, which also discourages the plant from flowering and going to seed. Dandelions are good, but I don’t need a dandelion garden!

Those nutrient-rich leaves aren’t only good for my garden and my soil, but they’re also good for me. Yep, dandelion greens are edible. I add the young, bright green spring leaves to salad mix.

Some market gardeners even cultivate a specific variety of dandelion with giant leaves as a crop. On purpose! Local chefs go nuts over it. Also, apparently, so do chickens. Consider adding dandelion seed to your foraging seed mix.

As if that weren’t enough, dandelion also has medicinal uses. The dried root is an excellent liver and kidney tonic. If dandelions are left to flower, they will attract pollinators and beneficial insects. For all of these reasons and more, dandelion is one of my top 5 weeds to keep in the garden.
--- End quote ---

More interesting stuff for gardeners at the link.

tomos:
^ I have read (no links sorry) the there were multiple varieties of dandelion imported to the Americas by the original European immigrants. Also that multiple varieties were sold via e.g. Sear's catalogue. For human consumption ;-) At the local market here, one stall has started selling a cultivated version. It's very bitter - as one would expect - but the 'stems', (which are much more substantial than in the wild version), they're quite sweetish.

Bitter foods used to be eaten a lot. Today you dont get so much but there's still radicchio and chicory; in Germany you get Zuckerhut in winter (cant find a translation) - but it's not that common. I've gotten into the bitter taste in the last few years. Also drink common centaury (Tausendgüldenkraut) tea - bitter, and very good for the digestion :up: I tried wormwood tea but couldnt manage it, bitter is an understatement there ...

Stoic Joker:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version