ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (48/441) > >>

40hz:
Remember reading Shelly's famous sonnet Ozymandias back in school?

In case you don'tOzymandias

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."
--- End quote ---

Think about Shelly's words while taking a look at this article.

IainB:
@40hz: Interesting find! Thanks for sharing.
Building is as depressing as Ozymandias...

40hz:
@IainB - Glad you liked it! I found the article particularly resonant since (in one of my former incarnations) I was an avid urban/hidden/lost-places explorer. I got started in 1973. But it really took off after the film The Last Wave came out in 1977 and people learned about some of the locations found in the movie. More on hidden/lost places here and here.

It also reminded me a little of the scene in Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness where the exploration team first enters an eon dead, frozen city in Antarctica and begins to piece out it's history from the murals on the walls. (Good read if you haven't btw. I've included the link to an electronic edition.)

Ia! Cthulhu ftaghn! ;D :Thmbsup:

IainB:
@40hz: Thanks for the references/links. I hadn't read that.
As for that building, well it is a just a huge artefact - a church - built to worship what turned out to be a short-lived religio-political ideology. Just another religion, and there are so many of them, and we keep making up new ones - e.g., including Moonies, Scientology, Apple, Green, Global Warming™ (aka Climate Change™) - not to mention Swedenborgianism, Spiritualism, all the newly-invented US "Christian"-based sects and the Islamic sectarian branches, the EU, and the USA.
So many prayers to say, sins to confess, and tithes to pay to placate all of their gods ... so little time...

Arizona Hot:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 Review & Rating  PCMag.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version