ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (30/441) > >>

Arizona Hot:
Because of the FUD, expense and setup of transitioning to Windows 7(let alone Win Eight), many people will turn to Linux. But, which Linux? Will may people try the Linux below?  Does anyone here know much about it first hand?

Interesting "stuff"

Welcome to RoboLinux

TaoPhoenix:
Because of the FUD, expense and setup of transitioning to Windows 7(let alone Win Eight), many people will turn to Linux. But, which Linux? Will may people try the Linux below?  Does anyone here know much about it first hand?
 (see attachment in previous post)
Welcome to RoboLinux
-Arizona Hot (January 23, 2014, 03:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is the phrase that's bothering me:
"...what if you could also run all your Windows applications natively inside Linux?"

How is that even possible?

40hz:
"...what if you could also run all your Windows applications natively inside Linux?"

How is that even possible?
-TaoPhoenix (January 23, 2014, 09:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think he probably meant 'seamlessly' rather than 'natively.' Hyperbole aside, some of the grammar and vocabulary found on the website, plus some unusual turns of phrase, make me almost suspect whoever wrote it didn't grow up speaking American-English.

What I have trouble with is this part below - which implies this situaion is unique to Robolinux rather than being the case for virtually any other modern mainstream desktop distro.

simply take a few minutes to download the Robolinux operating system by clicking on the "Download Now" button above. Then simply burn our image file you just downloaded to a disk and load it into your DVD player. Just use the EASY TO FOLLOW DVD burning instructions available from our "How to Install" menu button above.

Then Robolinux does something really amazing: It installs everything you need including your favorite software and thousands of current updates in less than 10 to 20 minutes. Now you have a modern looking PC with sparkling cool 3D eye candy graphics that boots up in seconds, uses 1/4 the memory Windows hogs up, runs at least 5 to 10 times faster, never slows down or freezes up!
--- End quote ---

I'd also question and not accept at face value the part that says: "boots up in seconds, uses 1/4 the memory Windows hogs up, runs at least 5 to 10 times faster, never slows down or freezes up!"

In general, Linux will boot faster and use less memory than Windows when both are sitting idle. Runs 5-10 times faster? Maybe... depending on what you're doing, although IMO Linux generally feels lighter on its feet under most circumstances. But that's a far cry from 5-10 times faster unless you're running on a really underpowered machine. Never slows down? Not true. It depends on what you're doing - although you don't see the performance hit with system updates or new app installs like you sometimes do with Windows thanks to registry issues. Never freezes? Also not true, although it seldom happens - and can almost always be unfrozen without the need to resort to a hard reboot.

I like Linux and make no apologies for doing so. But I really don't like it when somebody starts making breathless and fruity semi-true claims about it. It's an operating system. And no OS is perfect. (Just don't try telling the Apple fanbois that! :mrgreen:)

8)

Arizona Hot:
Does anyone here know much about it first hand?-Arizona Hot (January 23, 2014, 03:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I hope someone here tries it out before April 8th, so people can know whether it's worth using.

tomos:
Because of the FUD, expense and setup of transitioning to Windows 7(let alone Win Eight), many people will turn to Linux. But, which Linux? Will may people try the Linux below?  Does anyone here know much about it first hand?
 (see attachment in previous post)
Welcome to RoboLinux
-Arizona Hot (January 23, 2014, 03:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

How is that even possible? -TaoPhoenix (January 23, 2014, 09:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

VM - you can "Download The Robolinux One Click Windows XP & 7 VM Installers" for $40ish + 1hour support. Not bad I guess for us noobs ;-)

of course you'll need a windows key too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version