ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (16/441) > >>

Arizona Hot:
With more and more consumers having their passwords compromised on a daily basis, a pair of researchers are floating an idea that they contend will help foil digital credential crackers.

They propose salting a web-site’s password database with lots of false passwords called “honeywords.” Passwords in password databases are typically “hashed” or scrambled to protect their secrecy.

“An adversary who steals a file of hashed passwords and inverts the hash function cannot tell if he has found the password or a honeyword,” Ari Juels of RSA Labs and MIT Professor Ronald L. Rivest wrote in paper titled Honeywords: Making Password-cracking Detectable that was released last week.

“The attempted use of a honeyword for login sets off an alarm,” they added.

--- End quote ---

Use of 'honeywords' can expose password crackers

Honeywords Making Password - Cracking Detectable (pdf)

Arizona Hot:
Any one here interested in Ender's Game.

Arizona Hot:
I've always said that the two biggest benefits of running a Linux distribution over a proprietary operating system are: freedom of choice and the Linux community. Despite these advantages, Linux on the desktop needs work in one key area: seizing great opportunities.

Two huge opportunities for the Linux desktop right now are the end of Windows XP support and the less than amazing reception of Windows 8 by casual users. In this article, I'll explore why I believe Windows XP and Windows 8 are fantastic opportunities for an increase in Linux adoption.
--- End quote ---

Anyone here planning to convert an existing XP machine to Linux after Microsoft pulls the plug on it?

40hz:
Anyone here planning to convert an existing XP machine to Linux after Microsoft pulls the plug on it?
-Arizona Hot (November 23, 2013, 08:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've moved most family and friends over already who weren't planning on getting new machines.

Except for the heavy-duty PC gamers, nobody seemed to much notice or care since office apps, web browsing, e-mail, and social networking made up virtually all of their computer usage. All of those apps have pretty much reached parity regardless of what platform they're running on.

YMMV. 8)

Arizona Hot:
REDMOND: Microsoft Corp. said on Thursday that it has made its latest browser, Internet Explorer 11, available to users of Windows 7 machines.

The new browser had already been part of the Windows 8.1 upgrade the company released last month.

The browser, available as a free download, improves the performance of websites that use JavaScript. Microsoft says the browser is 9 percent faster than Internet Explorer 10.
--- End quote ---

Has anyone here with Win 7 tried this or does this cause you to wake up the next morning a female blond airhead?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version