ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (106/441) > >>

superboyac:
^Very nice dancer there. Too bad it's so hard to tell.

40hz rant time! :tellme: :tellme: :tellme:

It's true that dance can be very dramatic. But that doesn't make it a drama - which most people who make movies and videos simply can't seem to grasp.

***end rant***
-40hz (December 29, 2014, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think they trained at the MTV school of film production.  More important than content is shifting the shot every couple of seconds to force the observer to refocus.  Supposedly this keeps people watching even though nothing good is shown.  The trick is old now.  I wish they'd think up a new gimmick.  :)

Edit:  Fortunately it's not 2015 yet as I've pointed this out at least a dozen times on DC.  New Years res. is to let it and similar rest.  :)

-MilesAhead (December 29, 2014, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
the ultimate abuser: epic battle scenes and transformers.  just once, I wish they would zoom waaaay out and let us watch an enormous battle unfold for a SOLID 30 seconds.  And no more one guy mowing down hundreds of enemies.  And in the transformer's case, let's have fewer pipes and metal parts for the robots so we can actually see facial features and other things that help us figure out what is going on, what body parts are involved, etc.  I don't want to see a bunch of pipes crammed together and spend a few seconds "is that the eye? is that the arm?  am i looking at a home depot shopping cart?"

also...if gandalf can blast hundreds of orcs away with his ball of light from his staff, why doesn't he just do it in the beginning of every major battle...or just repeatedly? 

MilesAhead:
also...if gandalf can blast hundreds of orcs away with his ball of light from his staff, why doesn't he just do it in the beginning of every major battle...or just repeatedly?
-40hz
--- End quote ---

That would be cheating.  Too easy.  :)

Along that line, what drives me nuts about Vampire films or TV shows is after all the bragging they do about "I'm 800 years old" and "I'm 2000 years old" etc..  Somebody pokes 'em with a sharp stick and they pop.  If it's that easy to kill 'em they must have lived for 2000 years by hiding in a cave.  The other thing is the bursting into flames in sunlight.  Bram Stoker's Dracula didn't have that problem.  At least in the movie The Breed they walked around in the day time, but wore sunglasses.  :)

40hz:
-40hz
--- End quote ---

That would be cheating.  Too easy.  :)

-MilesAhead (December 30, 2014, 10:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

That plus the rechargeable batteries in a wizard's staff don't last very long. FYI: Those staffs were designed by the same people who picked the battery for the iPhone.

Along that line, what drives me nuts about Vampire films or TV shows is after all the bragging they do about "I'm 800 years old" and "I'm 2000 years old" etc..  Somebody pokes 'em with a sharp stick and they pop.  If it's that easy to kill 'em they must have lived for 2000 years by hiding in a cave.  

--- End quote ---

Right up there with the "shields" in the StarTrek universe. Hit 'em once - or at most twice - and Sulu or Scotty are announcing: "Shields are down, Captain!"

That and the snazzy "body armor" all those Imperial Storm Troopers wore in StarWars. Shoot those guys once and down they go! You have to wonder why they bothered for all the good it seemed to do them. Even ewok arrows seemed to penetrate it pretty well. Maybe the old US Pentagon originally contracted that project out for them?

The other thing is the bursting into flames in sunlight.  Bram Stoker's Dracula didn't have that problem.  At least in the movie The Breed they walked around in the day time, but wore sunglasses.  :)
--- End quote ---

+1!  :Thmbsup: I thought the sunglasses and daylight roaming was a touch of genius in The Breed. With modern weapons and technology, we have to do something to even up the odds for the vampires. Or at the very least, give them the benefit of modern tech like they did in Underworld: Awakening. Those vampire special ops teams were spot on the sugar. :Thmbsup:

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"   Interesting "stuff"   Interesting "stuff"   Interesting "stuff"   Interesting "stuff"   Interesting "stuff"

Fun With the Moon

Interesting "stuff"

Your new PC needs these 22 free, excellent programs  PCWorld

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"

Clues In Sony Hack Point To Insiders  The Security Ledger

In today’s world of agile software development and fast release cycles, developers increasingly rely on third-party libraries and components to get the job done. Since many of those libraries come from long-running, open-source projects, developers often assume they’re getting well-written, bug-free code. They’re wrong.
The major patching efforts triggered by the Heartbleed, Shellshock and POODLE flaws this year serve as examples of the effect of critical vulnerabilities in third-party code. The flaws affected software that runs on servers, desktop computers, mobile devices and hardware appliances, affecting millions of consumers and businesses.
However, these highly publicized vulnerabilities were not isolated incidents. Similar flaws have been found in libraries such as OpenSSL, LibTIFF, libpng, OpenJPEG, FFmpeg, Libav and countless others, and these have made their way into thousands of products over the years.
--- End quote ---

Think that software library is safe to use Not so fast!  CIO

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version