ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (52/441) > >>

40hz:

Ahaha! Not being particularly interested in iphones, I had not realised that they were effectively unserviceable.

Is that really true?     :tellme
-IainB (July 08, 2014, 11:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Judge for yourself. Not unserviceable per se. But what a PITA! And needing a proprietary (i.e. TS1-Pentalobe) screwdriver to open some models...seriously?  :huh: :-\

(Note: the iP4s are considerably easier to work on than the 3 series was.)

I could almost completely assemble a small server in the same amount of time - and only require a single standard #2 Phillips screwdriver to do it. 8)

wraith808:
Having gone through several iphones between myself, my wife, and my son... I haven't had a reason to replace the battery in any of them, unlike my other phones.  So there is that...

40hz:
Having gone through several iphones between myself, my wife, and my son... I haven't had a reason to replace the battery in any of them, unlike my other phones.  So there is that...
-wraith808 (July 08, 2014, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

My experience is you get about 3 years out of them under fairly heavy use (at least the 3 & 4s) before the battery starts to have trouble holding a charge. And though I can't speak for everyone, I have yet to get through a full and busy workday without needing to plug my iPhone in sometime in the course of the day. And that's even when it's brand new. But this is probably another one of those YMMV situations.

My GF handles it with her usual "don't screw with me" approach. She refuses to service any of her consumer-level technology. The minute her iPhone starts acting up, she trades it in for a new one. Her feeling is a smartphone is too important a factor in her daily routine to bother fooling around with an unreliable unit.

(Note: as an iPhone user I land somewhere between The Hacker and the Whiner in the spectrum of iPhone owners.)

wraith808:
Having gone through several iphones between myself, my wife, and my son... I haven't had a reason to replace the battery in any of them, unlike my other phones.  So there is that...
--- End quote ---

My experience is you get about 3 years out of them under fairly heavy use (at least the 3 & 4s) before the battery starts to have trouble holding a charge. And though I can't speak for everyone, I have yet to get through a full and busy workday without needing to plug my iPhone in sometime in the course of the day. And that's even when it's brand new. But this is probably another one of those YMMV situations.
-40hz (July 08, 2014, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Probably.  On my personal one right now, I leave it off for a couple of days unless I'm heavily using it, and by the end of the third day or so, it's about 30-40%.  But then again, I don't make calls all that often.

My GF handles it with her usual "don't screw with me" approach. She refuses to service any of her consumer-level technology. The minute her iPhone starts acting up, she trades it in for a new one. Her feeling is a smartphone is too important a factor in her daily routine to bother fooling around with an unreliable unit.
--- End quote ---
I'm not quite that bad, but I'm definitely at the I don't want to screw with my phone level- when I want to make a call, it needs to just work.

(Note: as an iPhone user I land somewhere between The Hacker and the Whiner in the spectrum of iPhone owners.)
--- End quote ---

Interesting article!  I don't really fall in any of those areas, though.

TaoPhoenix:
Having gone through several iphones between myself, my wife, and my son... I haven't had a reason to replace the battery in any of them, unlike my other phones.  So there is that...
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Well yeah, even brand new I was told too that on a heavy busy day you'll crush the battery charge. My mobile dating app will rip apart the charge in some five hours flat.

I think I'm going on year 4+ with my 3GS, carefully picked as a "watchful medium late adopter" as the sweet spot of the time to be the first version they intended to actually support for a while. Except for that app I also have very little critical data (remind me to spend a day typing what little I have onto my comp). Although they like to talk, an AT&T rep told me it's the constant pulling of updates that tends to grind down the battery capacity. But since I have very little actually hooked to my phone, the rep said I was getting great life usage out of the older phone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version