ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (31/441) > >>

Edvard:
Never freezes? Also not true, although it seldom happens - and can almost always be unfrozen without the need to resort to a hard reboot.
--- End quote ---

Still happens to me.  About once a month, I come home and the screensaver is frozen.  No mouse response, no Ctrl-Alt-F1, no nothin'.  I suspect it may be the DMA errors my hard drive was throwing my way about 6 months ago, causing random slowdown->window freeze->total lockup glitches.  I have a script that I ran at the first sign of trouble which would write dmesg|tail to another disk every 5 seconds until it came down, and that's how I learned it was DMA errors.  Been keeping Unison backups ever since just in case.   Windows no matter what hardware I was on would do strange things and freeze up every once in a while, but I had no idea how to go about pinning down the issue.

kyrathaba:

The world's most famous bike race. The "R" in "Tour" is a cyclist.
The yellow circle is the front wheel of a bicycle, the "O" is the back wheel.

TaoPhoenix:
I think he probably meant 'seamlessly' rather than 'natively.'
What I have trouble with is this part below...

Then Robolinux does something really amazing: It installs everything you need including your favorite software and thousands of current updates in less than 10 to 20 minutes. ...
--- End quote ---

-40hz (January 23, 2014, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Heh. So without quibbling on one word, how can it run everything/anything from Windows "seamlessly"? I thought WINE and all that stuff was still a murky mess, hence the lack of Linux on the Desktop.

And what exactly is my "Favorite" software? Does that include Pale Moon browser? Kingsoft Spreadsheet? Anything that I use whatsoever?

But the Big Gun is, how do you install and run MS Office "seamlessly"? The "only" things keeping me on Windows are:

1. Lack of a true clone of the "Windows Install Process" - just being able to "seamlessly" download/install and run any Windows program like I do now. (Not counting the ones "Not available for XP" etc.)

2. Lack of a true clone of the Windows Explorer environment including the Right Click menus. Sure, I bet 3/4 of the features are possible, but the times I was exploring the Ubuntu family and Suse, stuff was just missing or badly moved somewhere.

3. "TBD later."

It was pretty easy for me to go Non-MS for both browsers and the office programs. But it was the big dog of them all, the Win environment, that I gave up trying to get off from. So I'd love a heavy-hit test of this thing, separate from us all just commenting on the marketing copy. Most of all, I want to know how that whole "your Windows program works here" vs one known to cause problems with WINE.

tomos:
Did you not see my post above Tao :tellme:
(the answer is Windows gets run via VM)

Arizona Hot:

Windows 8.1 Update 1 Everything we know so far

Anyone here interested in this version right now?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version