ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (281/441) > >>

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"

15 Images You Won't Believe Aren't Photoshopped

17 Images You Won't Believe Aren't Photoshopped

Interesting "stuff"

60 INSANE PHOTOS THAT YOU WON’T BELIEVE AREN’T PHOTOSHOPPED

tomos:
[ Invalid Attachment ]
[..]
Skara Brae - Wikipedia
-Arizona Hot (January 24, 2017, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

BBC's A History of Ancient Britain is well worth watching -- here a cropped copy of the episode that covers Skara Brae (try about 10 minutes in)

(this one at least should have been called History of Ancient Britain *and* Ireland)

IainB:
...(this one at least should have been called History of Ancient Britain *and* Ireland)
Tom
-tomos (January 25, 2017, 08:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Heh, very droll. Was there such a political or regional differentiation in ancient times? One suspects that it were all Anglo-Saxon or Celtic like, mate, or som'at. They probably hadn't learned of political correctness then.
Long live Queen Boudica (Boadicea) of the Iceni.
'Scuse me whilst I paint my face with woad, as is my cusrtom.

IainB:
What I really wanted to post here though, before I read @tomos' previous comment, was a note of caution: Please do study science, if only for one's own sake:
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
Source: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Killed Berkeley Couple
BERKELEY (CBS SF) – A couple found dead in their Berkeley home under mysterious circumstances earlier this week was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, a law enforcement source told KPIX 5 Friday.

35-year-old Roger Morash and 32-year-old Valerie Morash were found dead Monday afternoon in a fourplex on Deakin Street in Berkeley where they had lived for several years.

The source said that the couple was using a laser 3-D printer that was venting into their residence. Symptoms and signs consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning were found in their bodies.

Police evacuated the apartment building and called in PG&E and the fire department’s hazardous materials team to look for a gas leak or some other hazard but no contaminant was found.

Their two cats were also found dead. The couple was identified by authorities Tuesday.

Roger was a game developer working on an adventure game called Shard. Valerie was a postdoctoral research fellow at the Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute in San Francisco.

They both attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

A memorial service is planned for 6 p.m. night at the Ed Roberts Campus on Adeline Street in Berkeley.

© Copyright 2017 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

--- End quote ---

This sort of death really does annoy me. So unnecessary. So stupid. Ignorance. Another Darwin Award, one suspects, for removing their genes from the gene pool in such an unfortunate manner. He might have been quite a good computer games developer too. She was apparently a "postdoctoral research fellow at the Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute in San Francisco". Apparently no basic science knowledge. I bet they were both dearly beloved by their parents. The potential of humanity is reduced by such deaths.

History repeats. Previously, this sort of stupid CO death was quite common in caravans and houses where the occupants were using gas heaters that were parasitic of the atmosphere in the enclosed space and gave off CO. Just like 3D printers, it seems. All such deaths are avoidable.

tomos:
...(this one at least should have been called History of Ancient Britain *and* Ireland)
Tom
-tomos (January 25, 2017, 08:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Heh, very droll. Was there such a political or regional differentiation in ancient times? One suspects that it were all Anglo-Saxon or Celtic like, mate, or som'at. They probably hadn't learned of political correctness then.
Long live Queen Boudica (Boadicea) of the Iceni.
'Scuse me whilst I paint my face with woad, as is my cusrtom.
-IainB (January 29, 2017, 05:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

maybe I'll have to go paint my face as well :-)
For those who dont know, Ireland and Britain would have been more or less the same Celtic race and culture at that time -- before the Romans, the Anglo-Saxons, and then the Vikings, came and changed Britain's culture. Of those three, only the Vikings reached Ireland, and in much lesser numbers than especially in Northern England, where they had a huge influence. Mind you, Dublin was a Viking town. On a personal note, my (irish) mother has a viking surname which translates literally to Son of Cedric.
Many of the Vikings settled in Normandy, where they became almost completely french in their language and culture, but kept their roving ways, and came over to England in the 11th century and invaded England and made French the language of their rule.
Going back to the Celts, like the Angles and Saxons, they came from what is now Germany, but further south.
So we Europeans are all pretty well mixed.

PS yeah, I guess it is literally politically correct to call an autonomous country by it's own name, as opposed to by the name of its neighbour.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version