ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (236/441) > >>

IainB:
@Arizona Hot:
Re: New York Attorney General Targets Supplements at Major Retailers - The New York Times

Very interesting about the fraudulent sale of supplements - in an unregulated (read "ungoverned") sector reliant on a so-called "honour" system for authenticity - in the US.

No surprises there then, except perhaps at the apparent level of gullibility of the average suckers consumers who must apparently be buying that "snake oil" in the entirely unfounded belief or expectation that it is all kosher - there is such a thing as Caveat emptor "let the buyer beware", after all.
The nanny State can only go so far, though it looks like it might have responsibly and albeit belatedly intervened in this case, to protect consumers from snake oil salesmen (the companies selling the products to consumers). Still, if it is invited to sort it out, it could do so at cost to the taxpayer - so at least some benefit might come out of that (employment for more government officials).

From a Consumer Justice perspective, I would recommend that there might be some justice in retrospectively and punitively fining the companies that have been selling the products to consumers, for having (corruptly) perpetuated a fraudulent process that they must have been able to determine was, or had known or suspected to be a fraud, but turned a blind eye to the matter because of the potentially huge profits that were to be made. - e.g., think of Volkswagen diesel "tests".

However, from past experience, I'd be none too sanguine of that coming about - this being "Merika" that we are talking about, after all - due to the actors in this arguably all being likely to be in each others' pockets already anyway.

IainB:
Amazing news from the UK: The UK just struck oil
Somehow I never envisioned that I'd be reading such a headline. It seems to be true though. And where once one oil-strike is made, there could likely be others. Oh dear.

Deozaan:
Amazing news from the UK: The UK just struck oil
-IainB (March 16, 2016, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah but it was in Iran, and they're planning to strike that oil again and again. :P

IainB:
Pretty impressive security CCTV footage. Three men distract the shop teller and place a skimmer device on the EFT-POS terminal. Takes about 8 seconds.

Raw Video: Men Place Card Skimmer on ATM Store Machine! - YouTube

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"

New “Stagefright” Hack Exposes 275 Million Android Phones - Fortune

Nexus Devices getting a Second March 2016 Security Update

Do you have a Nexus or antivirus protection?

Interesting "stuff"

Malware Exploits Apple DRM to Infect iPhones Malware

The Apple has been bitten again. Did you feel it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version