ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Chrome’s insane password security strategy

<< < (4/7) > >>

Renegade:
Then I saw the last line of text on the page.
ALPass requires Internet Explorer. It does not currently support Firefox, Opera, or other alternative web browsers.
--- End quote ---

Really? Even now?

Is there an emoticon for “disappointed”?  :o
-oblivion (August 21, 2013, 10:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

You have no idea... :( I lobbied for FF support. (This is in the days before Chrome.)

(thanks Ren!)-wraith808 (August 21, 2013, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hehehe!  :Thmbsup: (It's gonna annoy the crap out of someone! :D)

4wd:
On the whole I'm not all that bothered about Chrome's lack of password security primarily because I think even the significantly better security in Firefox is insufficent. I mean it's reasonably good all the way up until you use it and from then until you close it not so much.-Vurbal (August 21, 2013, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which is why anybody who uses Firefox' Master Password feature should at least be using the Master Password+ addon to at least give you auto-logout/lock capability, (but most of all to stop multiple simultaneous "Enter Master Password" prompts).

xtabber:
Chrome has another gigantic security hole baked in: if you sign in to your Google account, it automatically syncs with Google's servers and caches account information on whatever computer you signed in from.

I won't install Chrome on any of my PCs and will only run it from inside a VM. 

I use Android devices extensively, so I am automatically signed in to my Google accounts at all times, but I use Chrome as little as possible for browsing on those devices and always make sure that I have password saving disabled in any browser I use .  There are plenty of good Android browsers that offer much better privacy options.

Renegade:
Chrome has another gigantic security hole baked in: if you sign in to your Google account, it automatically syncs with Google's servers and caches account information on whatever computer you signed in from.

I use Android devices extensively, so I am automatically signed in to my Google accounts at all times, but I use Chrome as little as possible for browsing on those devices and always make sure that I have password saving disabled in any browser I use .  There are plenty of good Android browsers that offer much better privacy options.-xtabber (August 22, 2013, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Huh? Are they syncing passwords and account info?

When I read the first few words of your post, my first reaction was to just pull some smartass stuff like, "Hey, let me fix that for you:"

-xtabber (August 22, 2013, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

But jeez... Not even installing Chrome? Can you point us to any other resources or info?

Also - Stoic Joker - You know a few things about big data - care to jump in?

wraith808:

I use Android devices extensively, so I am automatically signed in to my Google accounts at all times, but I use Chrome as little as possible for browsing on those devices and always make sure that I have password saving disabled in any browser I use .  There are plenty of good Android browsers that offer much better privacy options.

-xtabber (August 22, 2013, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think this is the case.  You have to actually sign into the browser.  Which I don't do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version