ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Goes Dark for Two Minutes. Panic Ensues.

<< < (2/4) > >>

40hz:
...They were updating the NSA's backdoor is my call...
-wraith808 (August 17, 2013, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
SNAP! An almost exact same thought occurred to me - and probably a million other people on the planet, upon reading of this news.
I recall sometime in (I think it was) 2008/9 reading of a spate of mysterious outages in international undersea cable telecoms links to some countries in the the Middle East and elsewhere. The comment was vouchsafed that a deep-sea fishing trawler's net must have accidentally snagged the cables, or something...
At the time, I thought to myself "Yeah, right. I wonder if they snagged the satellite transmissions network too?"
-IainB (August 17, 2013, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 w/Wraith and IainB- Sure sounds like "government work." That'd be my guess too.

And 2 minutes would be more than enough time to insert a middle man into a data stream or install a passive tap on it. :tellme:

TaoPhoenix:

Heh that famous response of "Neither confirm or deny" = "confirm" now, right?

Vurbal:

Google really adds no value to any site for any user.

-Renegade (August 17, 2013, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Umm ok. That's quite a blanket (and silly) statement.

rgdot:
Google has plenty of good products, gmail, search...the usual. But their ad network and analytics are not in that category. The analytics, used by many webmasters and therefore potentially affecting many sites (even counting the 'place the code in the footer' trick) is one of the most overrated online tools.

My 1.25c  ;)

Renegade:
Google really adds no value to any site for any user.
-Renegade (August 17, 2013, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Umm ok. That's quite a blanket (and silly) statement.
-Vurbal (August 17, 2013, 06:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ads and tracking add no value at all for the user. They are actually negative value. Google's hosting of jquery or whatever is just more tracking, and nothing any site can't do itself.

Just WHAT value does Google add to any site for any user?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version