ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Goes Dark for Two Minutes. Panic Ensues.

(1/4) > >>

wraith808:
Google goes dark for 2 minutes, kills 40% of world's net traffic

You can all relax now. The near-unprecedented outage that seemingly affected all of Google's services for a brief time on Friday is over.

The event began at approximately 4:37pm Pacific Time and lasted between one and five minutes, according to the Google Apps Dashboard. All of the Google Apps services reported being back online by 4:48pm.

The incident apparently blacked out every service Mountain View has to offer simultaneously, from Google Search to Gmail, YouTube, Google Drive, and beyond.

Big deal, right? Everyone has technical difficulties every once in a while. It goes with the territory.

But then, not everyone is Google. According to web analytics firm GoSquared, worldwide internet traffic dipped by a stunning 40 per cent during the brief minutes that the Chocolate Factory's services were offline. Here's the graph of what that looked like:

--- End quote ---

More at link.

They were updating the NSA's backdoor is my call...

Renegade:
They were updating the NSA's backdoor is my call...-wraith808 (August 17, 2013, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahah! ;D  :Thmbsup:

I suppose that I'm sort of tired of Google and whatnot. My reaction to the outage was, "meh."

IainB:
...They were updating the NSA's backdoor is my call...
-wraith808 (August 17, 2013, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
SNAP! An almost exact same thought occurred to me - and probably a million other people on the planet, upon reading of this news.
I recall sometime in (I think it was) 2008/9 reading of a spate of mysterious outages in international undersea cable telecoms links to some countries in the the Middle East and elsewhere. The comment was vouchsafed that a deep-sea fishing trawler's net must have accidentally snagged the cables, or something...
At the time, I thought to myself "Yeah, right. I wonder if they snagged the satellite transmissions network too?"

mwb1100:
Big deal, right?
--- End quote ---

The problem is that so many webpages hit Google themselves (for analytics and what not), so even if you weren't trying to get to Google or Google's apps directly, there's still a very good chance that the sites you were trying to access didn't work very well.

Renegade:
Big deal, right?
--- End quote ---

The problem is that so many webpages hit Google themselves (for analytics and what not), so even if you weren't trying to get to Google or Google's apps directly, there's still a very good chance that the sites you were trying to access didn't work very well.
-mwb1100 (August 17, 2013, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Probably not. I've blocked a lot of Google domains at the DNS level, and they all work just fine. Google really adds no value to any site for any user.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version