ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Scandalous Intel

(1/2) > >>

Giampy:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/two-ways-to-cool-down-your-defective-overheating-intel-cpu

tomos:
Looking to purchase a Haswell or Ivy Bridge Intel CPU? ... According to bloggers, Intel recently got caught using thermal paste on its CPUs and lying about it – the revelation suggests that Intel CPUs may not last longer than three to five years before succumbing to overheating.
--- End quote ---

ewemoa:
 :o

Renegade:
Sigh...

Unfortunately, building defects into products remains a standard practice in modern industrial societies. After all, the best mousetrap doesn’t make a man rich – it’s the mousetrap that you need to buy 50 times that makes a profit. And CPUs with shorter life expediencies destroy second-hand markets.
--- End quote ---

edbro:
I wonder if this holds true for their mobile chips. Are the chips in high end laptops built to fail also? Not many people replace cpus in a laptop and hopefully they aren't building those to fail. Not to mention the fact that CPU temps are more critical in a laptop.

I was hoping to pick up a high end laptop soon as the mobile advantages of the new Haswell chip are significant. But, I won't drop $1,200 plus on a computer if I thought I would have to throw it away after a few years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version