ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google: Gmail users shouldn't expect email privacy

<< < (9/9)

wraith808:
I think that asks a bigger question: Why shouldn't we expect it? Seriously.
-40hz (August 16, 2013, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

So, you are saying that in my example of a hand to hand delivered postcard or post-it note, that you would expect privacy and security? You would not expect anyone along the chain to read it, and funny looks from a prudish neighbor that was part of the delivery chain would come as a complete surprise and shock to you, and you would expect the $10,000 in cash to remain perfectly safe, and feel no need to change the pin on your credit cards?
-app103 (August 16, 2013, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think the point is what you would expect, in terms of reality today.  It's what you should be able to expect.  And I don't think that, all things being equal, you should have to lock the virtual door in order to get privacy.  Privacy shouldn't have to be based on security.  Because if it is, then we have no privacy.  There are always people that with the appropriate amount of effort and desire, that can crack any security.
-wraith808 (August 16, 2013, 06:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

It doesn't matter what you expect. In a broken system, if you know it is broken but aren't willing to admit it, how can you ever expect to come up with a solution to the problem? Pointing fingers of blame at those that point out that there is a problem, isn't a solution. In other words, pointing fingers of blame at Google for stating that there shouldn't be an expectation of privacy, doesn't fix the root problem that caused them to be able to state that.

-app103 (August 16, 2013, 08:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

In fact it *does* matter what I expect.  Like I said, reality is different from my expectations.  But should I change my expectations just because of that?  I mean, I can change my actions without changing my expectations.  People do it every day.  I expect that I shouldn't have to use security to get privacy.  The reality is, that isn't true. I can expect whatever I want, but know that the system is broken.  People do that everyday also.  But conflating the two isn't doing anything but doing the other side's work for them.

Let's put it another way.  Are you saying that just because your e-mail isn't secure, it's OK for anyone to spy on it?  Is the act of looking at your e-mail addressed to a person an invasion of privacy in and of itself?  Or is only an invasion of privacy if you encrypt/secure it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version