ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

*Email privacy and security survey*

<< < (7/7)

tomos:
^yeah, it's the same one - at the time there were problems with it tracking your activity *after* uninstalling it. I would presume they fixed that since due to the bad press, but probably worth researching.

MilesAhead:
^yeah, it's the same one - at the time there were problems with it tracking your activity *after* uninstalling it. I would presume they fixed that since due to the bad press, but probably worth researching.
-tomos (July 22, 2015, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Trouble is it is hard to keep the tracking to zero.  If you use ToolWiz TimeFreeze or some other sandbox, fine, the stuff is erased when you reboot.  But they are still gathering the data while you surf.  It is really annoying.

There should be some kind of class action suit where they would have to pay us for this data.  It might slow them down if it cost them a few bucks.  Plus if they are going to spy on you at least you could subpoena their own data as proof they owe you money!!!  :)

app103:
Trouble is it is hard to keep the tracking to zero.  If you use ToolWiz TimeFreeze or some other sandbox, fine, the stuff is erased when you reboot.  But they are still gathering the data while you surf.  It is really annoying.

There should be some kind of class action suit where they would have to pay us for this data.  It might slow them down if it cost them a few bucks.  Plus if they are going to spy on you at least you could subpoena their own data as proof they owe you money!!!  :)

-MilesAhead (July 22, 2015, 04:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

You want WOT to pay you because you voluntarily installed a browser plugin that looks up and displays info from their database, based on the pages you visit? You think that is spying on you? You are annoyed by this?

It does have to phone home info to WOT for it to work. How else do you expect it to display the correct color icon (good, bad, unknown)? Where do you expect it to get the rating info from?

If you don't want WOT to know where you have been, why did you install it?

tomos:
^ I think you got the wrong end of the stick there app -
I was the one who was saying he should check out WOT to see if their problems as per end 2013 (where it continued tracking after uninstall) were resolved or not (see post #28 above).
Miles didnt seem too bothered by it all ;-)

app103:
^ I think you got the wrong end of the stick there app -
I was the one who was saying he should check out WOT to see if their problems as per end 2013 (where it continued tracking after uninstall) were resolved or not (see post #28 above).
Miles didnt seem too bothered by it all ;-)
-tomos (July 26, 2015, 03:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't believe the issue back in 2013 was any nefarious attempt at continued "spying" after uninstall. More likely it was a bug where it just didn't uninstall completely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version