ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

*Email privacy and security survey*

<< < (4/7) > >>

Renegade:
Never underestimate the intelligence of dolphins. I am pretty sure they would hack your website, if given the chance...and your password.
-app103 (August 16, 2013, 09:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Insidious creatures, they are! I don't know why we tolerate alien invaders, even if they're supposed to be "observers" or whatever. And same goes for white mice... Grrrr...  :mad:

wraith808:
My situation is slightly different, in that I need Grandma Dum-Dum to be able to send the info to me, not the other way around. And if after receiving the info, I go and change her passwords on her (because she sent them insecurely), and she can't log into her cpanel or ftp, she is going to panic and think I have hijacked her website instead of securing it for her. I'd like to be able to have her give the info to me securely, use it to complete the job she hired me for, then suggest she change the passwords when the job is done. If at that point she doesn't take my advice, at least with it being me that has the password info, with my knowing I won't do anything harmful with it (if I can't trust myself, then who can I trust?), I won't have to worry as much.
-app103 (August 16, 2013, 07:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why can't they create a new user for you?  That's what I do in those cases.  And if she knows how to use cpanel, then that's not that big of a deal to do.  Same for wordpress.

Renegade:
Why can't they create a new user for you?  That's what I do in those cases.  And if she knows how to use cpanel, then that's not that big of a deal to do.  Same for wordpress.-wraith808 (August 16, 2013, 10:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because:

...Dum-Dum...-app103 (August 16, 2013, 07:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm currently using Plesk, but if CPanel is remotely similar now (haven't used it in over 10 years), then asking a mere mortal to sift through it is akin to demanding a kindergarten class invade Pluto. Just finding functionality in Plesk is a daunting task. Using it? Oh god...

Wordpress is organized much better, though still could present a problem for a lot of people.

4wd:
Been aware of PGP since its earliest incarnation on the Amiga, used it sporadically but that was before I switched over to x86 hardware.

A polished solution for this should have been part of thunderbird for a decade instead of relying on clunky plugins or obscure tools if it should have had any chance.-Jibz (August 16, 2013, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can't tell you how long it's been there but Thunderbird->Write->Options->Encrypt Message

You just need a SSL Certificate, (which are free), and the recipient needs to use digitally signed email, (so you have the recipient key to encrypt with).

Very easy.

Jibz:
A polished solution for this should have been part of thunderbird for a decade instead of relying on clunky plugins or obscure tools if it should have had any chance.-Jibz (August 16, 2013, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can't tell you how long it's been there but Thunderbird->Write->Options->Encrypt Message
-4wd (August 16, 2013, 11:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's S/MIME as far as I can tell, which is actually supported by many e-mail clients. To get PGP support I think you still need to install both Enigmail and GnuPG.

And the problem of not many people having support for PGP extends to the trust model. In theory the web of trust is a great idea, but in practice it's probably easier to trust certificates from a CA than self-signed PGP keys that nobody has verified :-\.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version