topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ScreenshotCaptor takes > 90 secs to start under certain conditions  (Read 2713 times)

utilfreak

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Am a fan of Screenshot Captor.

There seems to be a small glitch. This is the test-cast:
1) "Check for updates at startup" is checked for my SC version 4.5.0.
2) I have a home network with a wireless router. This router is connected to broadband modem, but I do not always keep this modem on.
3) When I am connected to my home network with the modem off, Screenshot Captor on my PC takes more than 90 seconds to function normally, show up in system-tray or even show the quick-capture bar. I can see its there in task manager. My CPU usage is 0% for this application during this time. After about 90 seconds, SC works normally.
4) If I disconnect from the network, SC starts immediatly, even with "Check for updates at startup" checked.

I believe SC is trying to do an update check through my network which is not connected to internet, timeout is set very high at 90 seconds. Could this be lowered to 2-3 seconds?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ScreenshotCaptor takes > 90 secs to start under certain conditions
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:02 PM »
Yes and No. By default the TCP/IP protocols wait max. 30 seconds before a connection is deemed bad and needs to be closed.

Assuming you use the default TCP/IP settings Microsoft has selected for your version of Windows, you can be waiting those 30 seconds.

Now I don't know if SSC tries to connect multiple times and if so, if it does this sequentially instead of parallel. Anyway, it doesn't take genius to figure out that all those waiting times add up.

Depending on the version of Windows that you use, different TCP settings can be adjusted...but only in the registry. This is done on purpose by Microsoft and they are right about that in my view.  

Only if you really know what you are doing/have intimate knowledge about the inner workings of your network gear you can adjust the configuration. Or you can use the trial-and-error method of finding the settings that work best on your particular network setup. To do that, search 'TCP settings Windows registry' on the MSDN/TechNet sites from Microsoft.

The best solution?
Either become proficient in patience or make sure you set SSC to not automatically update. Please don't take this in a bad way, it is not intended as such. Your way of working does not allow for automatic updating of SSC or any other application really.

Personally, I don't like automatic updating at all. However, I am also at piece with the consequences of this mindset. So, if you need automatic updates, remain connected to the internet all the time...after all, the NSA could get bored out of their skulls if everyone would only connect to the internet when they need to  :P

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: ScreenshotCaptor takes > 90 secs to start under certain conditions
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:08 PM »
Hi utilfreak, and thank you for such a clear statement of the problem.

Shades comments are right in the sense that, the easier solution is to just turn off the automatic check for updates at startup in Screeenshot Captor (you'll see the option on the first tab of options).  You can always ask SC to check for updates manually whenever you want.

However, i will check the update-check code and see if i can't decrease the timeout time, as 90 seconds seems way too long, and i can see this issue biting other people who don't have internet connection enabled.  I'll see if it's something that's easy for me to adjust and report back.