topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Programming/Coder humor  (Read 143134 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Programming/Coder humor
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2017, 12:29 PM »
What's even more impressive - it says, of the day, so they must change the code daily. :Thmbsup:

Either that or the free drink changes with the day of the week?  :)

Since it says your_drink, I was assuming that you got the first of whatever you drink free, or else you can't solve it with what's on the sign.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2017, 12:21 PM »
What's even more impressive - it says, of the day, so they must change the code daily. :Thmbsup:

Either that or the free drink changes with the day of the week?  :)

Since it says your_drink, I was assuming that you got the first of whatever you drink free, or else you can't solve it with what's on the sign.

I have to agree something that can't be solved is a bad sign.  Especially if it is a sign.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2017, 12:22 PM »
Speaking of coding humor, I wonder if encryption programs have to be written in a dead language?  :)

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2017, 06:40 PM »
This pic is an actual screen-cap and not a touch-up job; see anything 'funny' about it?
Wargames pic.jpgProgramming/Coder humor
Spoiler
'Stats for nerds'

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #154 on: April 20, 2017, 06:42 PM »
 :huh:

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2017, 06:44 PM »
This pic is an actual screen-cap and not a touch-up job; see anything 'funny' about it?

The language switcher is on the Pale Moon title bar?  :huh:

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #156 on: April 20, 2017, 06:47 PM »
Sorry about my last post; the picture was too small to read even when enlarged; I enlarged it some more by cropping excess borders to make the mini pop-up window in the pic more readable now.  Um, this is putting me under pressure, because if I explain the 'joke' it won't be 'funny' anymore (ie 'Finagle's 1st Law of Telling Jokes). So I hope someone picks out what makes me think it's so 'funny'.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 07:15 PM by holt »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #157 on: April 20, 2017, 06:48 PM »
Ah, that already counts as a joke. Sorry then.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #158 on: April 20, 2017, 07:04 PM »
By the way, in refutation of GIGO (garbage in - garbage out) and "Computers don't make mistakes; people do," I once had an early portable electronic chess game, Boris 2.5 if I remember correctly. Yes, please go here; first release was February 1978, which seems about the time I got mine.
From Day One as a proud Boris-owner, I was so much 'in love' with it; the sight of it in the wiki article pic brings back a flood of memories and emotions (picture me as a young Boris chess 'emo').
But then cold hard reality began to set in. Boris was ruthless; I could almost never beat it at anything Level 1 or above, and it was programmed to insult you mercilessly when you made what it considered a 'dumb move'; such as "Have you played before?" and "Really?" and about 8 or 10 other equally devastating one-liners.
One day, I swallowed my pride and set it to play at Level Zero; and wonder of wonders, I actually began to make winning moves, until; it cheated. True story! Playing it at Level Zero, it lost it's Queen, and as I was about to move in for the kill, it gave itself another Queen, as a freebie. And it's new Queen didn't appear on any of the squares where Pawns normally change into Queens; it's new Queen appeared in a 'winning position' somewhere in the middle of the board. 'I felt the earth move under my feet', as the song goes. I was mentally staggered by the implications. GIGO was toast! The computer cheated on Level Zero! Even to think back on it; I'm not sure I ever completely calmed down, even to this day. A - computer - cheated; at chess. Somewhere within my Boris 2.5 was a hideous cyber-monster. True story. It finally wore out and quit working. Actually, looking back on it, I can see an element of 'humor' in it, if I put myself in the position of laughing--at myself, combined with a 'wake-up' groan, as in 'Welcome to the real world, you pathetic nerd'. :)

edit... Hindsight can be an amazing enlightener; after all these years, looking back after having just written this post; a suspicion has come to me that the early Boris 2.5 computer could not possibly have cheated at Level Zero without someone having rigged it with sneaky programming to act that way. If so, and it's the only explanation that makes any sense now, the phenomenon must have long since been reported by others, tested, proven out (authenticated & verified independently) and very quietly corrected -all on the hush-hush- in later models. The 'proof' would have to come from searching out an early edition model Boris 2.5 that is in vintage condition, the equivalent of a 'like new' classic car 'barn find' (in this case; more like 'attic find') and played at Level Zero.
Other than that, all you have is my word as a foggy-headed 800 to 1000 human chess playing strength level (rank amateur) that my early edition Boris 2.5 actually did cheat and also gave insults, and that if mine did, others of the same vintage must have done so also. IOW, somewhere in the heart of every early model Boris 2.5 lurked hidden nonstandard coding to cheat at Level Zero and give itself a free Queen in a winning position, while heaping choice insults upon hapless amateur-level players. If anyone wishes to scorn my allegations and heap on top of me yet more insults, save your breath; I've already been insulted by a pro (at which I still marvel), and I specialize now at rating insults (rating insults, I say; not giving them) instead of rating chess players and chess computers. :P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:06 PM by holt »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2017, 01:10 AM »
CgEzZY5UYAAn_eZ[1].jpg

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2017, 04:29 AM »
FART: Find And Replace Text http://fart-it.sourceforge.net/

I thought the developer missed the meaning of the initials but no, see his/her website  ;D

Regards,

Anand

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2017, 10:05 PM »
One day, I swallowed my pride and set it to play at Level Zero; and wonder of wonders, I actually began to make winning moves, until; it cheated. True story! Playing it at Level Zero, it lost it's Queen, and as I was about to move in for the kill, it gave itself another Queen, as a freebie. And it's new Queen didn't appear on any of the squares where Pawns normally change into Queens; it's new Queen appeared in a 'winning position' somewhere in the middle of the board. 'I felt the earth move under my feet', as the song goes. I was mentally staggered by the implications. GIGO was toast! The computer cheated on Level Zero! Even to think back on it; I'm not sure I ever completely calmed down, even to this day. A - computer - cheated; at chess. Somewhere within my Boris 2.5 was a hideous cyber-monster. True story. It finally wore out and quit working. Actually, looking back on it, I can see an element of 'humor' in it, if I put myself in the position of laughing--at myself, combined with a 'wake-up' groan, as in 'Welcome to the real world, you pathetic nerd'. :)

As my dad likes to say, "Computers are polymorphically perverse."  :D

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2017, 03:11 PM »

As my dad likes to say, "Computers are polymorphically perverse."  :D
^Yes. Or, as Claire Danes remarks ruefully in the beginning of 'Terminator 3', "Machines."  :D

Shivering little mouse saved from drowning after accidentally falling into man's aquarium.

Training Time with Matilda, cute little mouse.

Baby Mouse Daycare.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:40 AM by holt »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #163 on: July 04, 2017, 04:56 PM »
327-e99aec68-cc30-4339-92da-a0a7168bb0f9[1].pngProgramming/Coder humor

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #164 on: July 05, 2017, 01:46 PM »
:o

:huh:

:-\

:P

There's a copypasta error on line 31. And it looks like some things are never used, such as the monkey enum on line 24 and the strawberry struct from line 32. :Thmbsup:

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2017, 01:49 PM »
[ Invalid Attachment ]

http://ioccc.org/years.html  8)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2018, 11:20 AM »
[Software] Library design is this: You have made a mistake. It is too late to fix it. There is production code depending on the mistake working exactly the way the mistake works. You will never be able to fix it. You will never be able to fix anything. You wrote this code nine seconds ago.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2018, 11:47 PM »
Here's a recursion themed take on this meme:

https://gfycat.com/WanBothCob

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Heh... very nice!  Especially Grue's expressions!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2018, 01:41 PM »
Software Developer.jpg

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2018, 03:13 PM »
Replace google with search on stackoverflow, and you've got a deal!  :Thmbsup:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2018, 12:31 AM »
hwqj7yx9vm211.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2018, 02:07 AM »
"Total hours wasted here" - ahahahahahaahaha  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
You can find similar lines in my code.
Normally they are accompanied by lots of curse words and me blaming the person I hold responsible for it taking so long to solve.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #173 on: December 19, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Programmers Rake.jpg

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #174 on: May 03, 2019, 09:09 PM »
Q: What is the most used language when coding?

A:
Spoiler
Profanity