ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Licensing Developers?

<< < (2/7) > >>

wraith808:
 :P

But taking it to a serious level... do you know what you have to go through in order to get liability insurance for a software developer?  And how much it costs at the levels they want you to be insured?

And what if you're an independent developer trying to get in with a company- any company is going to either want you to (a) sign your source away, or (b) escrow it.  Signing your source away is what most of them do... because the costs for escrow are ridiculous.  For a while I worked for a lawyer that handled those types of cases, and it got to the point that I had too much business to actually do any programming... to do a thorough validation of the code going into escrow takes a good amount of time.  Now, I was getting paid for it (in fact, more than if I was actually doing the work), but it was draining work... not the first time I walked away from a fat paycheck because I didn't want to do the work.

Renegade:
But taking it to a serious level... do you know what you have to go through in order to get liability insurance for a software developer?  And how much it costs at the levels they want you to be insured?
-wraith808 (August 12, 2013, 10:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's all fine and dandy, but it's still voluntary. Companies/developers are under no legal obligation. It's all CYA there. You could write the same code and sell it without warranty or have it insured. This is a pretty low standard.

Just how many children need to die before software gets properly regulated and licensed?  >:(

Stoic Joker:
Just how many children need to die before software gets properly regulated and licensed?
-Renegade (August 12, 2013, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Careful there Ren ... Sure we know you're just kidding, but if the wrong blogger finds that on a things to mist-up and whine about Google search...a palpitating heartstring opening like that we could leave us faced with 6,000,000 signatures on a petition by Thursday.

wraith808:
^ This.  And then, instead of your tongue being in your cheek, it will be tasting crap from someone else's ... well, you get the idea  ;D

Renegade:
Just how many children need to die before software gets properly regulated and licensed?
-Renegade (August 12, 2013, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Careful there Ren ... Sure we know you're just kidding, but if the wrong blogger finds that on a things to mist-up and whine about Google search...a palpitating heartstring opening like that we could leave us faced with 6,000,000 signatures on a petition by Thursday.
-Stoic Joker (August 12, 2013, 11:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Baby killer! :P ;)

(It's going to happen sooner or later. Better that it happen now while people have the capacity to rage against the machine than later when they don't.)

Ooops! Did I say that? No! I mean, dammit! You baby murdering fascists need to get in line and help stop the slaughter!

Every time you find a bug, some poor little kid is permanently maimed and will never walk or paint or scream uncontrollably in the middle of the supermarket again!

Through proper regulation set up by a panel of experts chosen by well-informed senators, congressmen, and ministers to parliament, we can devise protocols that elevate the art of software design to something more fitting, suitable, and most importantly, safe for all citizens.

That panel of experts can recruit teams of quality engineers to oversee the work of each and every properly and legally regulated developer.

Phase 2 could further extend control so that no developer worked on the same problem and that the same solution to any problem was reused by each and every developer. This would further ensure perfect consistency in all applications with no variation. Users would know what to expect, and everything would work perfectly forever and always.

How could this not be a perfect computing experience for everyone?

;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version