ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

ANDROID: What app do you use to read digital books?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ath:
Moon+ reader (free version), though I don't know how (well) it handles drm, as I have no epubs with drm  :huh:

4wd:
After a minute or two in each I decided that FBReader seemed possibly very good-Deozaan (August 10, 2013, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

The only thing with FBReader I've found is that I'm constantly being surprised by, "I didn't know I could that!"

All depends where you put your finger on the screen...one day I'll read the manual.....or not  ;D

Renegade:
I didn't even try Aldiko since Renegade didn't have much good to say about it.
-Deozaan (August 10, 2013, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't say "don't try it". It works fine and opens a lot of different formats. I've had zero problems with it. It's just the thumbnailing that I find a tad annoying as it takes longer than I'd like. (I'm not particularly patient.)

I think now what I'm looking for mostly is a GNU GPL reader. I'm kind of done with everything else, and more interested in freedom than other things. I didn't ask about that originally as I'm not holding up my hopes for this niche much. (Still need to track down some of the ones mentioned above - this is a backburner issue for me.)

ewemoa:
For some formats I use a fork of EBookDroid called Document Viewer.

Supports the file in following formats:

PDF
DjVu
XPS (OpenXPS)
Comic Books (cbz) (NO support for cbr (rar compressed))
FictionBook (fb2, fb2.zip)

--- End quote ---

xtabber:
Reading ebooks is the number one use for my Android tablets and I've tried quite a few readers over the past two years.  Aldiko was my reader of choice originally, but it has fallen so far behind that I haven't even bothered to install it on the tablet I now use most often for reading (Nexus 10).

The readers I use today are:

1) Mantano Reader Premium ($6.99 - there is free Lite version and an intermediate Essential version for $2.99). My favorite in most situations for both epub and pdf. By far the best document navigation and library management if you have an extensive library (as I do). They have a paid cloud service for synchronization which I tried and quickly dumped. Rendering is not quite as good as Nook, but it allows you to install many TTF fonts.  Reasonably good support with a user forum and  an actual manual.

2) Moon+ Reader Pro ($4.99, on sale through August 2013 for $2.49, the free version is much less capable).  Extremely flexible with many customization options, and very robust - it can handle malformed epubs that other readers choke on.  Also does CHM well. The interface is rather quirky and can take some getting used to: It breaks epubs by chapters and allows you to scroll smoothly within them, so it is my first choice for reading on a phone (one-handed), however that design also makes it hard to find your place within a large book.  Can synchronize using Dropbox.

3) Nook from Barnes & Noble.  Although meant to work with the B&N Nook store, this is an excellent free epub reader that allows side loading and can be used with any non-DRM epub file. Not as flexible as the two mentioned above, it has the best on-screen rendering of any Android reader and pretty good within book navigation.

All three of these support Adobe DRM, but I always convert purchased ebooks to DRM-free epub before loading them on my devices, so I have never tested this.  I buy books from both Amazon and B&N, and other vendors too (e.g., O'Reilly), but while I do use the Nook reader on my devices, I hardly ever use the dreadful Kindle for Android app.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version