ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

RightNote 3.0 - 50% deal at BitsDuJour - August 12-14

<< < (2/5) > >>

Scott_Y:
RN's default seems to be to make a new clip if you tell it to, but not to make that the current clip.  Consequently if you use the add-to-entry hotkey, the addition goes to the entry the cursor is on, which from my point of view is the previous one (getting tired, not sure I'm making sense).

In sum, I wanted the action of clipping something to a new entry in RN to make that entry the current one, to simultaneously put the cursor on that entry in the tree (same thing, I suppose) and to scroll the tree to show it.  The way RN currently operates seem to me less than logical.  It's presumably the author's preference, but maybe my preference could be made a configuration option.
-rjbull (August 09, 2013, 03:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
I can confirm that when RN adds a new note from a web clip, the focus remains on the current note in the tree and does not shift to the new note. So if we want to append subsequent clips to the new note as you describe, we must first manually scroll the tree and change focus to the new note. I agree that is an awkward work flow.

I had already intended to submit a wish for improved auto scrolling of the tree after I purchase my licenses. Your comments here have been very helpful, and confirm the need for that improvement. I will refer Rael (the author) to this thread. I will also second your desire for new notes to be given focus.

Scott_Y:
just to prevent misunderstandings: The advertised version is the PRO version ($60 now $30), but I expect both versions of course will be available when the offer is on.
-Curt (August 09, 2013, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, it is good to point that out. Previous discounts of RN at BdJ applied to both Standard and Pro versions (see, for example, some of the older comments there), so I was assuming the same would be true for this offering. We'll see what Rael has authorized.

Scott_Y:
In sum, I wanted the action of clipping something to a new entry in RN to make that entry the current one, to simultaneously put the cursor on that entry in the tree (same thing, I suppose) and to scroll the tree to show it.  The way RN currently operates seem to me less than logical.  It's presumably the author's preference, but maybe my preference could be made a configuration option.
-rjbull (August 09, 2013, 03:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
I just realized that there is at least one workflow context in which RN's current behavior is logical and beneficial; I should have thought of this earlier because I often use it myself! Let's say we are collecting web excerpts or pages on topic A, and want to have each as a separate note (or sub-node) under topic A. If the tree focus is on the A node as parent, then RN's behavior allows us to successively clip as many items as we wish from our web browser without ever going back to RN. The result will be as many new sibling notes, all under A.

So RN provides the following two options for clipping web excerpts or capturing web pages, each with its own dedicated, configurable hotkey:
1. Add new notes under a parent node.
2. Append new content to an existing note.

In both cases, the action applies to the focused node of the tree, and the focus remains on that node after the action. Because the focus doesn't move, we can continue to add more notes or append more content from the browser without returning to RN.

And likewise in both cases, we must first select the target node in RN before clipping or capturing from a web browser. If we do that, I think RN will easily compile multiple clips into one note just as you described. Now that I understand this, I see that it is logical and consistent.

The auto scrolling is a separate but related matter which I think could be improved. I will send Rael my suggestions for that.

[EDIT: I just found that the method for inserting a new Web clip can be configured in Tools > Clipper Options. It can be added either as a child of the current note or at the bottom of the tree.]

4wd:
What I'd like to see is an option, (or more preferably a hotkey eg. Win+Shift+V), where you highlight the content, hit the hotkey and it then asks you where in your tree/db you want the note to be put.

Rather than set everything up beforehand or start reorganising at the end of a clipping session.

I really wish he had a forum for users because my clipping from browser no longer works at all and it'd be helpful to see if anyone else had the same problem and a solution.

rjbull:
Let's say we are collecting web excerpts or pages on topic A, and want to have each as a separate note (or sub-node) under topic A. If the tree focus is on the A node as parent, then RN's behavior allows us to successively clip as many items as we wish from our web browser without ever going back to RN. The result will be as many new sibling notes, all under A.
[...]
So RN provides the following two options for clipping web excerpts or capturing web pages, each with its own dedicated, configurable hotkey:
1. Add new notes under a parent node.
2. Append new content to an existing note.-Scott_Y (August 09, 2013, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I realise that RN has several hotkeys, including Clip to New Note: and Clip to Current Note:.  Within the current tree structure, I just want Clip to New Note: to automatically put the cursor on that newly-created note, so that subsequent Clip to Current Note: append to it.  Perhaps because that's the way I've always worked, but it seems logical to me.  I want to build up a single note piece by piece, not to create a new sub-topic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version