ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Sharing a custom spelling dictionary between applications

(1/3) > >>

superticker:
Is it even possible to share a custom.adu spelling dictionary between applications without creating write conflicts? For example, can Clipboard Help+Spell and The Forms Letter Machine share the same custom.adu dictionary?

On Windows 7, I've tried defining the file
  C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\custom.adu
for several different programs, but there seems to be some conflicts. Understand, some of these apps (e.g. Clipboard Help+Spell) remain open all the time, although I'm not sure its dictionary files remain "write open" all the time.

On a separate note, can a read-only language dictionary like american.adm be shared okay?  If so, where should the single copy be saved on Windows 7?

superticker:
On Windows 7, I've tried defining the file
  C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\custom.adu
-superticker (August 09, 2013, 01:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well,... attempting to locate my custom dictionary, custom.adu, into my roaming profile (i.e. %APPDATA%\DonationCoder directory) fails altogether.  So are all custom dictionary files "hard coded" to be in the %ProgramFiles%\Clipboard Help+Spell\Dictionaries directory no matter what?

The main problem with this latter approach is that the "Standard User" doesn't have write access to files in that program directory on Windows 7 (or Vista) for security reasons.  Of course, the administrator can copy a user's custom dictionary into that directory, then give him full control (which is what I did).  Kind of weird though.  Why not just use the normal way and put the user data in the roaming profile (%APPDATA%) as expected?

Another problem is that one's custom dictionary won't roam between computers as expected.

The other problem is I don't backup the %ProgramFiles% directory (Why would I since the programs have to be reinstalled on recovery anyway?) so my custom dictionary won't be backuped by default.

Is there an advantage in using the %ProgramFiles% directory for user data that I don't know about?  Perhaps that approach might be more compatible with older (and less secure) OSes.  But even older programs often use %APPDATA% for their user data.

mouser:
Sorry for the delayed reply!

Ok good questions.. You've basically found a problem with CHS spelling dictionary storage.  I'm going to try to fix it now so that they are stored in the same directory as the configuration settings are.  Stay tuned for beta version.

As for sharing custom dictionaries.. i don't know what potential problems it might cause, so let me do this in two steps, first having them at least read from the proper directory.

mouser:
Mark, can you try:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/clipboardhelpandspell/downloads/beta/ClipboardHelpAndSpellPortable.zip
or https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/clipboardhelpandspell/downloads/beta/ClipboardHelpAndSpellSetup.exe

superticker:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/clipboardhelpandspell/downloads/beta/ClipboardHelpAndSpellPortable.zip
or https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/clipboardhelpandspell/downloads/beta/ClipboardHelpAndSpellSetup.exe
-mouser (August 22, 2013, 03:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tried the second one, and it stores custom.adu in
%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\DonationCoder\Clipboard Help+Spell\Dictionaries\custom.adu

and that location appears to be hard coded.  :(

I was expecting to find it in the roaming data profile:
%APPDATA%\DonationCoder\Clipboard Help+Spell\custom.adu

but because it's hard coded into the %HOMEPATH%, I can't put it there.  But at least it's not in %ProgramFiles% anymore. That directory isn't part of my regular backup set, so I lost my original custom.adu file after a disk failure.

-----

On a totally separate note, someone suggested that desktop installs place data in the roaming data profile, %APPDATA%; whereas, portable app installs place it in the local data profile, %LOCALAPPDATA%.  Is this really true, and if so, why is this distinction made?  Why not place everything in say %LOCALAPPDATA%?

Is there a simple way to sync %APPDATA% (roaming) and %LOCALAPPDATA% (thumb drive) on Windows 7?  (Which forum should I be using for this question?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version