ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Edward Snowden's Email Provider Shut Down Rather Than Comply With Feds

<< < (7/9) > >>

40hz:
Whoever made this one must know Renegade: ;D

;)

TaoPhoenix:

Meanwhile, it's a few years before comedy gets outlawed, so they're trying.

Enter Codefellas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codefellas

"...In the first episode "When Topple Met Winters", protégé hacker Nicole Winters (Emily Heller) who works for "Special Projects", an electronic surveillance governmental agency, receives a call from elderly Special Agent Henry Topple (John Hodgman) informing her that she has just been assigned to him to spy on the general public."

Renegade:
 (see attachment in previous post)
 ;)
-40hz (August 18, 2013, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahaha! ;D

I saw that and considered posting it, but held off. ;)

But, while you're bringing up the topic, here's a bit of satire I posted over at /r/whowillbuildtheroads:

Satirehttp://www.reddit.com/r/whowillbuildtheroads/comments/1kllng/why_did_the_libertarian_cross_the_road/

Edvard:
Because with everything that's been happening lately, there is no longer any doubt that it is they who are the criminals.  This government has firmly and forever overstepped the bounds of the Constitution it claims to derive it's existence from.  
-Edvard (August 09, 2013, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really hope not "forever". :(
-Renegade (August 10, 2013, 10:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Me neither, but name me a time when the government or any of it's agencies did something 'over the line' and subsequently went "Oops, my bad" and backstepped?
I'm sure it's happened, but I'm also sure it got spun 'til it puked and buried in the background (and therefore, out of the history books) very quickly.

No fair replying "Watergate".

P.S. If anyone knows of a good email service provider with a similar policy, please let me know.
-Edvard (August 08, 2013, 11:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
riseup.net
-Attronarch (August 17, 2013, 02:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting, thanks for the link.  I've also found a lot of other encrypted mail services lately, but they all charge quite a bit for their services (understandably so...).  It was very gracious of Mr. Levison to offer not one but TWO different tiers of free accounts, and though I used IMAP, I always kept the setting "Delete message from server" on.

;)
-40hz (August 18, 2013, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

LOL!!  Awesome!

IainB:
No surprises here. Good to sea some more open discussion about it: Switching To Gmail May Leave Reporters' Sources At Risk
Just some snippets:
..."I have been running around in my newsroom, screaming about this ... for years," says Julia Angwin, who covers computer security and privacy at The Wall Street Journal. "There's so much evidence now that journalists are being targeted, that our communications are vulnerable and, mostly, that our sources are being put in jail."

...It's in this context that The New York Times decided to outsource its email to Google. This summer, the paper moved all of its reporters onto corporate Gmail accounts. Before the switch, Times emails were stored on servers it owned; now those messages are in Google's digital filing cabinet.

...Fred Cate, the director of the Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research at Indiana University, says a large email service provider like Google may very well offer better security. Still, Cate says, when it comes to mounting a legal defense against a leak investigation, the Times is making itself vulnerable.

..."There will be a gap. There is no question that there's going to be a gap," Cate says. "Because previously you would have had to serve that piece of paper on The New York Times."

Now, an investigator would serve Google. And if the request comes with a gag order, the Times might never know.

--- End quote ---

So, knowing the certified/documented risks - post Snowden - under what circumstances would it make sense for The Wall Street Journal to outsource their email to Gmail?

...Hmm...tricky question...    :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version