ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Edward Snowden's Email Provider Shut Down Rather Than Comply With Feds

<< < (5/9) > >>

Edvard:
Not strictly true - unless all you senders and recipients also use the same service and you can guarantee end to end encryption
--- End quote ---

OK, yes, this much is true.  However, the central location where it ALL can be found would be on their server, which would be a much juicier prize, and if it's true that Lavabit was Edward Snowden's email preference, it would obviously be their first target in any prosecution proceedings.

Personally, I am just not that paranoid, or else I would have my family and friends all using GPG or some such when they communicate with me.  No, it was more about the peace of mind that my email account had some protection against ne'er-do-wells who would look through my mail for other attack vectors (bank account and business transaction names and communications, like eBay, PayPal, etc.)  Little did I know it would be my own government the ones come a-knockin'.
So what's the point of my concern?  Why do I think they would they care about lil' ol' me?  And why should I care about my government going looking for evidence it has a right to look for in a criminal case?  

Because with everything that's been happening lately, there is no longer any doubt that it is they who are the criminals.  This government has firmly and forever overstepped the bounds of the Constitution it claims to derive it's existence from.   I really try not to be political, and this isn't a rant against the Left or Right or anyone else, it is just the facts as they are manifest.  I mean, I'm with Wraith, it shouldn't have to be like this.  The simple choice of email provider shouldn't be a political action.  But now it is, and we are the worse off for it.

cmpm:
"Ask not what your Country can do to you, but, what can You do to your country"

The Next Political Sales Pitch

(sorry JFK, we screwed the pooch)

IainB:
...This experience has taught me one very important lesson: without congressional action or a strong judicial precedent, I would _strongly_ recommend against anyone trusting their private data to a company with physical ties to the United States.
-wraith808 (August 08, 2013, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
An odd thing to say. Why say it? What he recommends was patently obvious from the moment the Guardian published the Snowden leaks. And it's not necessarily confined to just those with physical ties to the United States, either.
What else was pretty obvious was that if you don't comply, then things are going to get brutally violent PDQ.
The NSA/US Government has us all snookered.

40hz:
it's not necessarily confined to just those with physical ties to the United States, either.
-IainB (August 10, 2013, 10:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

This!

Despite all the fine talk, it seems many of the so-called Western "Democracies" are either working hand in glove with the USA on this - or have instituted effectively identical programs of their own.

This is not just an American issue although the most egregious offender does seem to be the Obama administration at this point. It is a global issue where the ruling elites, no matter what form of government mandate they operate under, have apparently declared a secret war on the very people they are supposed to be serving.

So it goes. :-\

Renegade:
Because with everything that's been happening lately, there is no longer any doubt that it is they who are the criminals.  This government has firmly and forever overstepped the bounds of the Constitution it claims to derive it's existence from.   
-Edvard (August 09, 2013, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really hope not "forever". :(

I really try not to be political, and this isn't a rant against the Left or Right or anyone else, it is just the facts as they are manifest.  I mean, I'm with Wraith, it shouldn't have to be like this.  The simple choice of email provider shouldn't be a political action.  But now it is, and we are the worse off for it.
-Edvard (August 09, 2013, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, as you've pointed out, more and more (basically everything) is becoming politicized.

<idiotmode>Don't like being spied on? Ooops. That's a political topic, so it's taboo. Just shut up and take it.
Don't like being kidnapped and caged for flowers, eggs, rain, or tomatoes? More taboo political topics. Just shut up and take it.

'Cause ya gotta give some to get some.</idiotmode>

(I could list a huge number of everyday activities that have become political issues.)

Technically, email is permanently and fundamentally broken. There's no hope for it. The only thing you can do is to use some other form of communication with strong encryption and hope that the recorded version isn't cracked before you check out of Prison Planet Earth.

Any time a topic becomes political, there's a serious problem, and most likely it isn't the thing itself - the problem is the people that have forced it into a political spotlight.

Just how idiotic is it for email, milk, eggs, tomatoes, or normal everyday life to become political?

Wanting to plant tomatoes in your home garden isn't political, but it has become that.
Wanting to drink a different kind of milk isn't political, but it has become that.
Wanting to communicate with people in private isn't political, but it has become that.
Wanting to use rain barrels isn't political, but it has become that.

All of those things are just normal parts of life. Who is anyone to tell others how to live their lives? Who is anyone to force you to do anything?

Slowly, slowly, slowly... the quiet creeping of the totalitarian tip-toe... bit by bit by bit by bit by bit by bit by bit by bit they byte you! :P ;D 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version