ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New bill upgrades unauthorized streaming to a felony

<< < (2/3) > >>

40hz:
Any questions about how fascism works?
-Renegade (August 07, 2013, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just two:

1. How late are they open?
2. How far away are they from midtown

(with apologies to Woody Allen)

:P

app103:
Now, what else will qualify as a felonious public performance of a "copyrighted" work, under this?

How about a video of your child's birthday party, with everyone singing Happy Birthday, uploaded to youtube?

Or how about just singing it at a restaurant, if the restaurant owner hasn't secured a license for public performance? If you sing it, the restaurant owner will become guilty of a felony.

Maybe we should all meet in Washington with signs and T-shirts that read "Arrest me, I'm committing a felony" and all sing Happy Birthday in unison, over & over.

TaoPhoenix:
Now, what else will qualify as a felonious public performance of a "copyrighted" work, under this?
-app103 (August 07, 2013, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bingo App. I'd give Happy Birthday a "hardcoded exemption" under some random amendment, because it's the only song of its kind that matters, but you caught on to my general point - post a random Bon Jovi video and you're cooked.

If I didn't know better, this almost makes me want to design a new school curiculum with "practical advice", which would include Venn Diagram Analysis to Political Statements. (Right in the line of fire here!)

P.S. It's funny to see what "normal" people's idea of IP via Youtube is ... "Here's some copyrighted video, which I am posting, but as long as I say it isn't mine, I'm okay. Right??!"

Tinman57:

With this law and the way the MPAA and RIAA run things, if you have a video of, let's say a birthday party of your child, and there's a Bon Jovi song playing in the background, or the kids are sitting in front of a TV watching a Disney movie, you have just committed a felony.

Stoic Joker:
(felonious public performance...) Okay, but if they use the law to start arresting mimes...could it really be that bad?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version