ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The fun of installing custom router firmware (tomato, dd-wrt) - an introduction

<< < (8/11) > >>

xtabber:
I have the ASUS RT-N66U router, which is Broadcom based and can run both DD-WRT and Tomato, but, while that was a consideration in my choice,  I have found the stock firmware to meet my needs so far and haven't tried either of them.

The N66U is slightly faster than the N56U, but the critical difference for me was that it supports multiple SSIDs.  This allows me to run a high-security WiFi LAN for my personal use and a separate Internet-only guest WiFi network for others, through a single router.

Shades:
The use of bigger and/or directional antennas also makes a difference. Some routers can amplify the power that goes to the antennas. That makes a big difference as well. However, it is not advised as overpowering the unit can lead to dead routers, or at least WiFi-less.

Now that I have taken a look at the device I didn't see any external antenna. Which would mean that there is not really an option to improve the range of the stock antenna's, except power amplification if you are dead set on leaving the router in it's current location.

If you still have the old unit, maybe you could still use as a simple repeater, so you can reach the outer corners of your man-cave/house/mansion/ranch...

mouser:
Oh that's cool, i didn't even realize a router could be used as a repeater!

lanux128:
So i broke down and got myself a new router (ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-N 600 Router RT-N56U).

So I'm using stock firmware on this for now; i *MIGHT* put tomato on this router, i might not.-mouser (September 06, 2013, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

i am using the same model and so far the stock FW has been adequate for my needs. however if you want to try out a custom FW, check out Padawan's FW. more info here.

• https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/

ewemoa:
Late to the party, but I got OpenWRT running on a TL-WR940N (V2.1) today.

I got reminded that the model number alone can be insufficient in making a good purchasing decision.  It turns out that if I'd gotten a V1.x device, installation would have been a lot easier -- V2.x turns out to not work with V1.x firmware (though there was some reworked version in the forums that ended up working luckily -- though unfortunately the official docs don't mention it).

Better to be able to verify such details before purchase it seems!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version