ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The fun of installing custom router firmware (tomato, dd-wrt) - an introduction

<< < (2/11) > >>

40hz:
^If you're happy with the current performance...and if it ain't broke...

Just sayin' ;)

Especially if it's a snazzy new 'ac' router. It might be a while before there's Tomato or DD-WRT firmware available for it - assuming it becomes available at all.

If you just want to play with alternative router software, grab an old PC, put two or three NICs in it and start experimenting with a firewall or gateway NIX distro like: Vyatta, IPCop, m0n0wall, Smoothwall Express, or pfSense. Or if you want to try something really fancy, check out Untangle Gateway  :-* or ClearOS. Links and info here.

skwire:
Vyatta, IPCop, m0n0wall, Smoothwall Express, or pfSense-40hz (August 03, 2013, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

I ran FreeSCO for several years (way back) and then Smoothwall for several years after that.  Good stuff, the both of them.

superboyac:
^If you're happy with the current performance...and if it ain't broke...

Just sayin' ;)

Especially if it's a snazzy new 'ac' router. It might be a while before there's Tomato or DD-WRT firmware available for it - assuming it becomes available at all.

If you just want to play with alternative router software, grab an old PC, put two or three NICs in it and start experimenting with a firewall or gateway NIX distro like: Vyatta, IPCop, m0n0wall, Smoothwall Express, or pfSense. Or if you want to try something really fancy, check out Untangle Gateway  :-* or ClearOS. Links and info here.
-40hz (August 03, 2013, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, advice well taken.  I was about to do it, but ran out of research time, so i got nervous and said forget it.  i was going to revisit it, but since i don't have any issues so far, and i'm doing so many other things...i'm leaving it alone.

wraith808:
I've been thinking about doing this... my NAS isn't compatible with my current router for doing some advanced functions.  But I've never been able to figure out if my router is actually supported.  That, and not wanting to screw up have kept me from the modding scene.

rgdot:
My experience has been that I need improvement more with the modem and physical layer than the router itself so I try to stay away from Tomato et al

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version