ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Slower Planes And Charging For Bathrooms

<< < (2/6) > >>

Shades:
Sorry, I can't let this one slip by...jet engines are by definition rotory engines, are they not?

Ok, serious now. Diesel develops small 'clouds' of substance when it is really cold. On high altitudes it is actually really really cold. Diesel in liquid form is a good fuel, solid not so much. I had once a subaru car with rotary engine. That car was neither fast or fuel efficient. A rotary engine is a piece of technology where theory never meets practice, i'm afraid.

Tinman57:
Sorry, I can't let this one slip by...jet engines are by definition rotory engines, are they not?

Ok, serious now. Diesel develops small 'clouds' of substance when it is really cold. On high altitudes it is actually really really cold. Diesel in liquid form is a good fuel, solid not so much. I had once a subaru car with rotary engine. That car was neither fast or fuel efficient. A rotary engine is a piece of technology where theory never meets practice, i'm afraid.
-Shades (August 02, 2013, 06:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

No no, jet engines and rotary engines are two different animals.  Rotary engines are more closely related to piston engines, but instead of pistons it has chambers, 3 to be exact, and are ignited with spark plugs just like a piston engine.  They're pretty neat engines that put out a lot of torque.  Back in the 70's when they first appeared in Mazda's they were a hit, but apparently there was too many problems with them, they wore out too fast.  I never knew they came out in Subaru's.

Jet engines put out contrails at high altitude, so I don't know how diesel would be any different.  Diesel and JP5 jet fuel are pretty closely related.  With modifications you can run JP5 in a diesel engine and visa-versa, but jet fuel has a little more bang to it than diesel.  I have never heard of solid diesel, you'll have to clue me in on that one.  :tellme:

Shades:
It used to be that diesel would develop 'flocks' (the Dutch term is 'vlokken') that could get stuck inside an engine, fuel-lines etc. Older diesel engines were not too happy about that.

Diesel can be treated and it hardly happens anymore in the Dutch climate. However, After seeing the outside temperature of minus 80 degrees Celsius when I sat inside a commercial airliner at 30.000 feet, going 800 kilometers an hour...I think that the 'flock' problem with diesel returns and will be very hard to fix at these temperatures.

Now I didn't know that jet fuel and diesel were alike. Never too late to learn something new  :)

Renegade:
...is answered by "No Attendant, I will be pissing in this water jug here!"
-TaoPhoenix (August 02, 2013, 10:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

For those considering this option, I recommend that you practice first and that you be acutely aware of the volume of your chosen container.

While aircraft mini-wine bottles measure around 170 ml and aircraft water bottles might be as large as 330 ml, you may find that during practice a 500 ml bottle is still insufficient. :P ;D

app103:
It used to be that diesel would develop 'flocks' (the Dutch term is 'vlokken') that could get stuck inside an engine, fuel-lines etc. Older diesel engines were not too happy about that.

Diesel can be treated and it hardly happens anymore in the Dutch climate. However, After seeing the outside temperature of minus 80 degrees Celsius when I sat inside a commercial airliner at 30.000 feet, going 800 kilometers an hour...I think that the 'flock' problem with diesel returns and will be very hard to fix at these temperatures.

Now I didn't know that jet fuel and diesel were alike. Never too late to learn something new  :)
-Shades (August 02, 2013, 10:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Kind of like when using recycled cooking oil as fuel in a diesel engine, it has to be warmed up if it is too cold. And that warmer is part of the "conversion kit".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version