ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Slower Planes And Charging For Bathrooms

<< < (3/6) > >>

Tinman57:
It used to be that diesel would develop 'flocks' (the Dutch term is 'vlokken') that could get stuck inside an engine, fuel-lines etc. Older diesel engines were not too happy about that.

Diesel can be treated and it hardly happens anymore in the Dutch climate. However, After seeing the outside temperature of minus 80 degrees Celsius when I sat inside a commercial airliner at 30.000 feet, going 800 kilometers an hour...I think that the 'flock' problem with diesel returns and will be very hard to fix at these temperatures.

Now I didn't know that jet fuel and diesel were alike. Never too late to learn something new  :)
-Shades (August 02, 2013, 10:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would imagine that the engineers that are working on those diesel aircraft engines know all these little details and have figured out what to do about it, like heated fuel lines or fuel additives.

Shades:
I assume that there are very intelligent engineers that already thought about this and likely have found solutions as well.

Additives that are used in Dutch winters will most likely not work in the much harsher environment of -80 degrees Celsius temperature at altitude. That is my fear.

I like diesel and that type of engine, which has seen already so much improvements over the years. Modern diesel cars are just as fast as gas-powered normal cars are, and still drive more miles on a liter of fuel than a gas-powered car does.

Take a look at endurance races such as the 24 hours of LeMans, the amount of diesel cars is higher every year and most of the time leading in their class of racing cars.

To my understanding, the US does not use diesel engines that much. That always struck me as strange, because families in the US live quite often far apart and diesel would cut the fuel bill significantly when it is time to visit.

Renegade:
To my understanding, the US does not use diesel engines that much. That always struck me as strange, because families in the US live quite often far apart and diesel would cut the fuel bill significantly when it is time to visit.
-Shades (August 03, 2013, 09:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is illegal in the US to have/produce/whatever fuel-efficient automotive engines. So, just throw out all logic and reason... it is what it is.  :huh:

(Anyone remember the Volkswagen example? European versions of the exact same model have far higher fuel efficiency, etc.)

Vurbal:
...is answered by "No Attendant, I will be pissing in this water jug here!"
-TaoPhoenix (August 02, 2013, 10:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

For those considering this option, I recommend that you practice first and that you be acutely aware of the volume of your chosen container.

While aircraft mini-wine bottles measure around 170 ml and aircraft water bottles might be as large as 330 ml, you may find that during practice a 500 ml bottle is still insufficient. :P ;D
-Renegade (August 03, 2013, 02:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
You say insufficient. I say economy urinal.

Stoic Joker:
...is answered by "No Attendant, I will be pissing in this water jug here!"
-TaoPhoenix (August 02, 2013, 10:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

For those considering this option, I recommend that you practice first and that you be acutely aware of the volume of your chosen container.

While aircraft mini-wine bottles measure around 170 ml and aircraft water bottles might be as large as 330 ml, you may find that during practice a 500 ml bottle is still insufficient. :P ;D
-Renegade (August 03, 2013, 02:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
You say insufficient. I say economy urinal.
-Vurbal (August 04, 2013, 06:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think the important question here is do they have a drain in the floor of the aircraft?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version