ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

RightNote version 3.0.0 released

<< < (4/8) > >>

peter.s:
"Well, I'll add some RightNote love, to balance out the negative views."

Add love where you want if there's a chance for it to be returned to you, but don't call facts "views".

cyberdiva:
I notice that no one has mentioned Surfulater, a program I have used and liked VERY much for several years.  I've never tried RightNote, UltraRecall, or others mentioned here, but they sound quite similar to Surfulater.  That's why I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.  It's kinda pricey ($79 for use on up to five computers), but it's occasionally discounted, and even at full price it seems to me well worth it, though I can understand that the price may be a dealbreaker for some. 

J-Mac:
I notice that no one has mentioned Surfulater, a program I have used and liked VERY much for several years.  I've never tried RightNote, UltraRecall, or others mentioned here, but they sound quite similar to Surfulater.  That's why I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.  It's kinda pricey ($79 for use on up to five computers), but it's occasionally discounted, and even at full price it seems to me well worth it, though I can understand that the price may be a dealbreaker for some. 
-cyberdiva (January 25, 2014, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think the main dealbreaker has been the developer's blog posts about the future of Surfulater. Back in late 2011 - early 2012 Neville sounded somewhat uncertain as to the direction of continued development, and that always causes consternation among the users. In early 2012 he posted that he would have to re-code Surfulater in order to make it able to have mobile versions. He soon christened that re-write as "Surfulater Next-Gen". That has been in development since early 2012 and is still in development now, AFAIK. Latest version of Surfulater available now is 3.42.1, I believe, and that was released in Feb 2012 - just shy of two years ago. Whenever Surfulater is available at Bits DuJour some questions are posted there about the current version vs. the "Next-Gen" version. It currently appears that the Surfulater you have now will not be upgradeable to the new version. Next-Gen will be subscription-based and BTW: no more folders; Surfulater Next-Gen will use hierarchical tags instead. Methinks all that might have something to do with "deal-breaking"!

Jim

cyberdiva:
Jim, I understand and share some of these concerns.  I'm not aware of whether or not current owners of Surfulater will get a reduced price for the Next-Gen version, but I expect they will.  I'm also not clear just what features/options that version will have.  At one point, Neville said that users of Next Gen could/would have their data on their computers, not just in the cloud.  If that's the case, I'm probably going to spring for Next Gen when it's available, since I have been extremely happy with Surfulater for several years.  And if Next Gen also works on my Nexus 7 tablet, so much the better.

As for folders vs. tags, years ago I would have been nervous about this, but my very positive experience first with Powermarks and now with Linkman has won me over to the virtues of keywords, which I think are essentially tags.  I can find any of my thousands of bookmarks almost instantly in Linkman thanks to keywords, and I expect the same speed and precision advantages will be true of a tag-based Surfulater.   Moreover, with tags, one can essentially have the same item in several "folders" so one doesn't have to wonder which folder one filed it in.  Another lesson learned from Powermarks/Linkman.  Yes, I have folders in Linkman (as I did in Powermarks), but what gives Linkman its speed and accuracy are the keywords.

J-Mac:
Hi diva.

I asked Neville about a discount - like maybe a reduced subscription rate for the first year - for users of the current Surfulater and he replied that he hadn't thought about it but that he would give it thought. That was a while ago on Bits. I haven't heard anything further about this though. Also I believe, IIRC, that Neville has stated that he plans to allow cloud storage or local storage, though I don’t know if he has that in the Next Gen version yet. No word on when it will be released, or at least I haven't seen anything about that yet.

Linkman! You mentioned tags in Linkman. I presume you are talking about the keywords? I have used Linkman for a few years now though I must admit I don’t use the keywords much anymore. Rather than a separate field for users to enter keywords, Linkman takes the keywords that the website builder uses for search bots or whatever. And Linkman pulls all of those in for each URL saved. I have some bookmarks that must have 200 to 300 doggone keywords! A lot of sites put everything in their keywords imaginable, which I don’t much like. I used to highlight and delete all the keywords that come in with the bookmark and then enter my own, but that turns bookmark saving into a PITA, in my opinion. I wish the Linkman developers would give us a separate field for our own tags/keywords, independent of the long lists that a lot of sites have. Actually if they would make importing the sites' keywords a user-configured option I'd be tickled!

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version