ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > LaunchBar Commander

Icon problems with FileContents nodes

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouser:
Ok so i have a question -- if in the /ICON field you specify the path to an exe -- does it get the proper icon from the exe?

so its only doing this when you do /ICON and specify the path to a file that ends in .ICO extension?

Vurbal:
It works properly using the /ico switch with EXE icons. That makes sense because it displays the icon correctly when I don't use the /icon switch at all and the EXE file being launched has its own embedded icon.

For ICO or PNG files I get the odd behavior when anything but Windows Photo Viewer is the default for that particular extension.

The switch doesn't appear to support DLL files - at least not using the filename;# references I copied from regular LBC nodes. Not a big deal since I don't use icons on most of my menu items anyway.

mouser:
I may not be able to fix this -- for file contents nodes, LBC relies on the system behavior for showing files, via a function called SHGetFileInfo, and it seems your system (all systems?) are set up so that if you set a custom handler for .ICO files, the result is that all .ICO files show up in standard file managers/explorers as generic icons.

Vurbal:
That's what I was saying before. I assumed it was a file system function and the behavior was out of your/my hands.

One thing I'm curious about, though. It doesn't affect image files selected for a regular node (like a command or menu for example). Does that use the same code or does that use something else that's not compatible with FileContents nodes for whatever reason?

mouser:
It doesn't affect image files selected for a regular node (like a command or menu for example). Does that use the same code or does that use something else that's not compatible with FileContents nodes for whatever reason?

--- End quote ---

yeah, the normal button icons are actually extracted from files once at time of adding them, and then stored as data.  this has some real pros and cons, but it's not dependent on the file system icon rendering.  when showing the contents of directories, however, i use this other method that shares file explorer icons (FARR uses this too by the way) -- the benefit is that the OS does the heavy lifting of finding the icons, the downside is you are at the whim of the OS for some of these issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version