ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > LaunchBar Commander

Icon problems with FileContents nodes

(1/3) > >>

Vurbal:
As part of the project I mentioned on the Easy Screencast Recorder thread I'm attempting to create what I'm calling a System Bar for Windows. The basic idea is to reimagine the (IMO severely outdated) Start Menu and Control Panel. I'll be creating a separate thread to get general input on it but I've suddenly run into a strange issue creating menus from text files.

I should probably mention this is on Windows 7.

The menu items in FileContents nodes suddenly started showing me incorrect icons. Instead of the icon I specify (using the /icon argument) every menu item displays the file handler icon you would see in a file manager. Here's where it gets really strange though. It didn't start happening until after I set the file associations for various standard image formats to XnView. At first I suspected XnView was at fault but it turns out the same thing happens if I associate the file extensions with MS Paint or GIMP. OTOH if I set it back to the Windows default (Windows Photo Viewer) that fixes the problem.

Here's an example when Photo Viewer is set to default:

And here's what it looks like when I change it to XnView:

This doesn't affect any other type of node. In fact it doesn't even happen to the icon set for the node itself or icons automatically extracted from an executable in the text file - just icons set using the /icon argument. A (semi) educated guess would be that they are being processed in a file system context for some reason rather than actually being opened.

Here's the NirCmd menu with various programs set to default for opening ICO files:

Photo Viewer (Windows default)

MS Paint

XnView

GIMP

mouser:
set using the /icon argument.
--- End quote ---

i was just about to tell you that you were imagining some feature in LBC regarding this mystery /ICON switch.. but then it occurred to me to read the help file for my application and it turns out there is such a thing after all.

i will see if i can find the issue, it sounds like it should be pretty simple -- it sounds like it's using the file extension only to look up the icon.

tomos:
i was just about to tell you that you were imagining some feature in LBC regarding this mystery /ICON switch.. but then it occurred to me to read the help file for my application and it turns out there is such a thing after all.
-mouser (August 16, 2013, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

yaay for help files :D

Vurbal:
set using the /icon argument.
--- End quote ---

i will see if i can find the issue, it sounds like it should be pretty simple -- it sounds like it's using the file extension only to look up the icon.

-mouser (August 16, 2013, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh. That's the problem with being able to write code in your sleep. You might not remember it when you wake up.  :P

However as I said it works fine as long as I don't change the file association from the Windows default. I suspect you're using a Windows API function that relies on Photo Editor and just assumes nobody will change it. Nonsensical assumptions are the building blocks of Windows after all.

mouser:
messaged you with test version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version