ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

<< < (9/31) > >>

40hz:
Of course if this is all getting way too science faire, you can always stock up on some of these from Icy Dock:

Find a tower with 9 drive bays and you could put 15 drives in it with three of these units. Or just create your own open cage to hold as many as you want. They're 5.75" wide, so 20 drives in a row would take up 28".

Hmm...5.75" x 3 = 17.25" so that should mean 15 drives should fit in a standard 19" equipment rack...

Stoic Joker:
Okay man, I'll meet you half way ... How about an old school stereo system equipment style stack of a few of these puppies?
http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=151 (hot swap 2.5" drive 6-packs)

superboyac:
Of course if this is all getting way too science faire, you can always stock up on some of these from Icy Dock:
 (see attachment in previous post)
Find a tower with 9 drive bays and you could put 15 drives in it with three of these units. Or just create your own open cage to hold as many as you want. They're 5.75" wide, so 20 drives in a row would take up 28".

Hmm...5.75" x 3 = 17.25" so that should mean 15 drives should fit in a standard 19" equipment rack...

-40hz (August 02, 2013, 11:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
ok, if we're back to the drive bay design (which I like, seems the easiest)...
The icy dock bay you linked looks really nice feature wise.  I've looked at several of these trayless drive bays over the years.  I really don't like plastic parts at all for them if I can help it.  The icy dock one is aluminum EXCEPT for the door which is plastic, and already a newegg customer mentioned it breaking.  That's why I ended up preferring the istardock one because it's all aluminum.  Here at home, I have maybe 3-4 of these different types of designs, but none of them are all metal, most have the door being plastic minumum.  The best one i have is from dat optic, and even that has the plastic door.
{edit} ACTUALLY...turns out that even the istarusa model is not fully aluminum.  But i can't tell which part is not aluminum.  I want an all metal cage, meaning both the chassis and doors and locking mechanisms are all metal.  Of course, the pcb and stuff on the inside can be plastic, but those three items i'd prefer to be metal.

superboyac:
For 9-bay cases, the ones that I like are the following:
Antec nine hundred:
I like this one because it has the full 9-bays, but also the huge 200mm fan on top.  Looks kind of hip too.

Addonics storage tower IX:
What's good about this one is that it's specifically built just for drive storage.  Compared to the antec, though, it doesn't have the nice fan options.  So i think i'd choose the antec over this one.
Actually, check that!  I'm a big fan of the coolermaster cases.  They have a couple of 9-bay options, check out this one!
Stryker:

wraith808:
For 9-bay cases, the ones that I like are the following:
Antec nine hundred: (see attachment in previous post)I like this one because it has the full 9-bays, but also the huge 200mm fan on top.  Looks kind of hip too.
-superboyac (August 03, 2013, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have this one, and I loved it for my primary box.  Now that its been relegated to my backup box/server... not so much.  For the role that you're anticipating, I personally wouldn't choose it.  And the fan on top doesn't help with heat exchange as much as it might seem that it would.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version