ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

<< < (8/31) > >>

wraith808:
I think it goes without saying, but I figured I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention it...

Check it's heat profile over time.  With many things like this, heat tends to degrade under stress over time, and that's *definitely* not something you want to happen.

superboyac:
I think instead of mounting the drives stacked vertically, it would be better to have just one "story" (i.e. flat like backblaze) for more stability.  So the bottom of the box would have some silicone heat-resistant pads or rails for the drive to rest on.  Then for the top, i can use din rails (or something with a lot of holes like that).  Then I put the bungee cords there as spacers.  Then I just slip the drives into the slots.  Should be quiet, no problem with heat, open air circulation with the room fan plus central AC.  How's that?

40hz:
Revisiting the bungee cord idea from 40hz (from this link): (see attachment in previous post)
I like it!  Simple to do.  Just build the brackets on the side with holes with the right spacing (probably can just find it at home depot).  I may give this one a shot.  I wonder what material I should use for the bungee, and where to get it from.
-superboyac (August 02, 2013, 12:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

high-temp silicone (or other heat resistant plastic) cord, tubing, or elastic bands? 8)

P.S. Thx for spotting that photo. I was going to draft up an illustration, but that photo shows very clearly what I had in mind - except I'd rotate it 90-degrees so the drives were mounded edgewise. By flowing air from underneath, the drives act as fins directing the airsteam and heat upwards. That would also allow you to stack tiers to save space with less worries since each drive would have air flowing over it's broadest surfaces (i.e. top and bottom)

Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

If you went this way however, I'd probably put something between the tiers in case one of the bands ever let go. A rigid expanded aluminum or steel mesh might be good.

You can get sheets of it from home improvement centers along with aluminum and steel stock for making mounting rails and frames. They can be assembled with pop rivets so no welding or soldering is required. And pop rivets don't vibrate loose over time like a bolt and nut assembly can.

I've done many prototype assemblies for electronic projects this way.

Stoic Joker:
By expanded metal they mean make many small cuts and then stretch e.g. the edges tend to be really sharp. Maybe safer with something in the mesh or chicken wire/pet fencing area if you're going to start at a hardware store. It's not as stiff on its own, but at least it's round on both sides.

40hz:
^They have polished versions. Also coated and plated. The edges aren't necessarily always sharp. Depends on what you buy and where. The stuff sold primarily for interior heating duct returns is quite smoothly finished.

Another alternative is chopped down lengths of wire (or "ventilated") shelving, available in a variety of widths and finishes although 12" chrome is the most common.

Starting with a mini version of a wire shelf unit (they used to have small three shelf units that were something like 6" deep and about 24" long that might be good to cannibalize.

Another possibility might be to start with one of those wire storage cubes the bed & bath shops are always advertising...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version