ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

<< < (5/31) > >>

Stoic Joker:
While it does sound cool from a Dexter's Closet/mad scientist viewpoint. I'd doesn't really strike me as practical (i.e. How hard is it to move?). Just because the produced heat isn't confined...doesn't alter the fact that it is produced. Which is precisely why my office at home is constantly hot as hell.

The air will still need to be circulated.

The dust will indeed collect due to that extra circulation.

Things will start to get "fuzzy"..

When it comes time to move stuff for cleaning ... How sure of the structure will/can you really be?? HDD's are heavy and don't bounce for shit. :)

90% of the noise in the server room comes from all those tiny assed high speed fans. So for noise control just use a tower case, they have larger slower moving fans. Bulk of the drives can be the 7200 rpm Nearline SAS variety that aren't really noisy at all. This will make the mess much easier to control.

Remember the golden rule: The correct answer should involve the least administrative effort. If I don't keep the server's looking good...the wife will clean them for me ... Probably with soap...

So I make sure my cleaning task is as easy as possible. ;)

40hz:
Remember the golden rule: The correct answer should involve the least administrative effort.
-Stoic Joker (August 01, 2013, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes true. But this is his home server in it's own room. No real space constraints. And it's just him. Not 200 twits sneaking a look at their FB accounts while pretending to be working. He can do a shutdown and perform maintenance anytime he damn well pleases - no need to even send out that memo nobody ever bothers to read... (Uh, hi! This is Dale over in Marketing...is the server down? I have a report due and my boss wants to know when we'll be back up...)

The sysadmin's prayer.

Where it does have a big downside is that it's an experiment. No long-term QC or guarantee backing any of it. :tellme:

But it's also just a storage server. So why not have some fun with it? The VM hosting machine is another story. For that you definitely want to go with known best practices.

superboyac:
What's complicated about the bungee cord thing is that if you remove one drive, it affects the other drives on that twist.

What about a simple cage created with two rectangular plates, a couple of long threaded screws or rails to hold the drives, and then just rest the drives vertically in place, similar to the backblaze design, but with more standard home depot parts and more spacing between drives?  I did something like this in college.  what was nice about it is that it's very flexible in design, things are just bolted together so it's easy to take apart (no welding or anything).  A simple clamp of some sort, whether rubber or silicon, would hold the drives in place, should be sturdy.  attach the cables from the top.  basically the same as the dishwasher rack images above except it probably needs to be made from parts in the hardware store due to the custom spacing and clamping on the top, which i'd like to have.

then i get this bad boy to cool them:
Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

Stoic Joker:
Remember the golden rule: The correct answer should involve the least administrative effort.
--- End quote ---

Yes true. But this is his home server in it's own room. No real space constraints. And it's just him. Not 200 twits sneaking a look at their FB accounts while pretending to be working. He can do a shutdown and perform maintenance anytime he damn well pleases - no need to even send out that memo nobody ever bothers to read... -40hz (August 01, 2013, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, but home has its issues as well. One tends to be more relaxed about their movements and behavior. So delicate exposed stuff is not ideal. Someone sprays air freshener into the room from the doorway and the heavy wet mist settles..? An innocent casual gesture snag a cable or two. Or just the simple act of moving/cleaning the assembly spotlights a fatigue point...leaving a pile of drives on the floor. My kids are gone, so while for the most part my environment is perfectly safe. I do have grandchildren that could visit. We also have friends with children. Should I mention pets???

Point being: Never tempt fate...shit happens just fine on its own.

superboyac:
--- End quote ---

Yes true. But this is his home server in it's own room. No real space constraints. And it's just him. Not 200 twits sneaking a look at their FB accounts while pretending to be working. He can do a shutdown and perform maintenance anytime he damn well pleases - no need to even send out that memo nobody ever bothers to read... -40hz (August 01, 2013, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, but home has its issues as well. One tends to be more relaxed about their movements and behavior. So delicate exposed stuff is not ideal. Someone sprays air freshener into the room from the doorway and the heavy wet mist settles..? An innocent casual gesture snag a cable or two. Or just the simple act of moving/cleaning the assembly spotlights a fatigue point...leaving a pile of drives on the floor. My kids are gone, so while for the most part my environment is perfectly safe. I do have grandchildren that could visit. We also have friends with children. Should I mention pets???

Point being: Never tempt fate...shit happens just fine on its own.
-Stoic Joker (August 01, 2013, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
I live alone.  I have two rules for guests:
1) You can do whatever you want if you're invited.
2) Nobody is allowed to touch anything in the computer room/office without explicit permission.  Not family, not girlfriends, nobody.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version