ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

<< < (4/31) > >>

40hz:
Yes, for the storage aspect. But a NAS is just a big storage bucket that isn't going to have (a real rip tearing processor or a boat load of RAM) the resources to handle virtualization properly. They tend to be minimalistic and dutifully plod along much like a good mule.
-Stoic Joker (July 31, 2013, 10:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep. To be honest, if I were planning some huge data storage system for my home use I'd be thinking of using a low power single board computer (there's a bunch of them) and setting up several file servers using them. A lot would depend on the storage the SBC and OS would be capable of efficiently handling, so that might take some research. But my inclination would be to just rack the drives on open shelving with plenty of airspace and one big quiet fan to keep everything cool.

So let's think outside the box for a second. Foregoing a closed case would dissipate a lot of heat and avoid any build up. And not having a fan restricted by the need to fit  in a case opens up a wealth of hardware options. (How about a couple of nice big Vornado table fans blowing on the drives instead of those miserable noisy little case fans?) The SBCs wouldn't need cooling or much power since they usually run off a wall wart power supply. And they could be mounted wherever it was most convenient to the drives they were attached to.

Hmm...gonna have to think about this ....

superboyac:
Yes, for the storage aspect. But a NAS is just a big storage bucket that isn't going to have (a real rip tearing processor or a boat load of RAM) the resources to handle virtualization properly. They tend to be minimalistic and dutifully plod along much like a good mule.
-Stoic Joker (July 31, 2013, 10:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep. To be honest, if I were planning some huge data storage system for my home use I'd be thinking of using a low power single board computer (there's a bunch of them) and setting up several file servers using them. A lot would depend on the storage the SBC and OS would be capable of efficiently handling, so that might take some research. But my inclination would be to just rack the drives on open shelving with plenty of airspace and one big quiet fan to keep everything cool.

So let's think outside the box for a second. Foregoing a closed case would dissipate a lot of heat and avoid any build up. And not having a fan restricted by the need to fit  in a case opens up a wealth of hardware options. (How about a couple of nice big Vornado table fans blowing on the drives instead of those miserable noisy little case fans?) The SBCs wouldn't need cooling or much power since they usually run off a wall wart power supply. And they could be mounted wherever it was most convenient to the drives they were attached to.

Hmm...gonna have to think about this ....
-40hz (July 31, 2013, 10:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK, now we're talking!  I really like the idea of the open shelf system because I would really prefer it to be quiet.  And I'll have a whole bedroom set aside for this sort of thing anyway.  I just need to figure out an easy way to put together a shelf system with the proper mounts and cable management, etc.  I could play around in sketchup to see if i come up with anything.  If anyone knows of any examples of this on the web, please link.

40hz:
^Think about the layout. I'd suggest standing them vertically with an inch or so between. Heat also rises, so you'd ideally not want the banks of drives to be stacked one above the other.

Right now I'm looking at one of those old minimalist media racks (similar to pic below) and thinking hmm...

Something like that would need to be beefier...and thought given to vibration...definitely some sort of floating mounting would be a good since rigidity would only transmit vibration...but this could form the basis of the design. I also like the diagonal way they lean since that would make labeling easy to read. (Always indicate the date the drive was put into service on the drive itself. You'll thank yourself later when you start replacing drives.)

Alternatively, one of those kitchen rack or X-type dish things could be interesting from a design viewpoint. Some people have already used them as is for Raspberry Pi server projects.

Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).    Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).    Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

Important to remember: maximum length for a high quality SATA cable is 2m for SATA-II/III - so that will have some bearing on the geometry of your design. And whenever in doubt, selecting shorter cables is usually the better choice.

Tom's has some discussion of throughput:

1. Device and mobo support SATA 2 - use of a SATA 3 cable will not get you the 6GB/s due to physical limitations of device and mobo.
2.Device and mobo support SATA 3 - use of a SATA 2 cable will not get you the 6GB/s due to physical limitation of the cable.
3. Device supports SATA 3, but mobo supports SATA 2 - using either SATA 2 or 3 cable will result in 3GB/s.
4. Device supports SATA 2, but mobo supports SATA 3 - using either cable will result in 3GB/s.
5. Device and mobo support SATA 3 - use of SATA 2 cable will result in 3GB/s
6. Device and mobo support SATA 3 - using a SATA 3 cable will get you the 6GB/s
--- End quote ---

...so as you can see, cable/drive/and host specs will also have an impact on total theoretical max throughput. Real-world will be slower due to OS and file system overhead.

Jeez...there's so much to think about. ;D

---------------------

Addendum: for serious bespoke servers, I've always had the best luck with mobos and chassis from Supermicro. IIRC Stoic also had a recommendation for where to get used enterprise-grade 'big name' hardware that's well worth a look. I'm out of the office so I can't remember who they were or do a lookup right now. (I'm definitely gettin' old! ;D )

superboyac:
OK, that's a good start.  I'm a little uncomfortable without some kind of clamping in place or something.  I don't want a situation where the you accidentally bump into it and the drives move around or fall down.  I'm thinking maybe there are some toolless hard drive mounting kits, where I can place each drive in one, and then screw them in a custom wooden or metal frame with rubber stuff wherever is needed to reduce vibration and noise. Maybe something like this:

40hz:
How about bungie-cording them to whatever using some hi-temp silicone tubing? That could serve double duty as a shock-mount and an anchor. Both ends, wrap over and under? I've seen similar done with servers being deployed for use in vans for 'mobile studio' and 'command center' applications.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version