ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

<< < (12/31) > >>

skwire:
With all this potential gear, you have considered the electricity bill increase, eh?

40hz:
Worst case scenario, i was thinking of modifying the ac system so that one room gets 24/7 ac. i have my license for that, so i should be able to figure that out!-superboyac (August 03, 2013, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Let me save you some time (since I just tried that with our new server room) it won't work. A central A/C unit doesn't cycle fast enough to deal with the localized heating produced by that much equipment. This however will do it quite nicely for about $278.
 (see attachment in previous post)
-Stoic Joker (August 04, 2013, 08:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nice, thanks man!  That saves me a ton of research.  I'm guessing it has a tube going outside somehow (yes it does, saw the pics).  That's pretty damn convenient for my purposes, brilliant.
-superboyac (August 04, 2013, 03:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes thanks! I was looking at those a while ago and wondering how well they worked. Just saved me some time too! :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
With all this potential gear, you have considered the electricity bill increase, eh?
-skwire (August 04, 2013, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sure, I know it's inevitable.  PS (i work for the utility).

wraith808:
It has a drain valve yes, but it hasn't produced a single drop in 3 months.
-Stoic Joker (August 04, 2013, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that... I've been looking at this for my man cave, but it has no windows, and I was worried about that so didn't get it.  So what do you do with the hose?  Do you just have it going out of the window?

superboyac:
I just installed Windows Server 2012 R2 in a VM so I can explore the drive pooling options.  If anyone has any experience with it, please discuss it here.  It looks pretty nice, though without the actual drives, i can't explore it too much.  I'm curious how it handles a pool made of multiple physical drives.  What happens if one of the drives in the pool dies?  how do you replace?  It's not RAID, so it doesn't necessarily rebuild things.  Also, do files reside on multiple drives?  If I pool one drive out independently and stick it in another computer, is it readable?  How does this thing actually work?

Also, regarding that Cooler Master Stryker tower, it's pretty nice.  I don't need any screws or tools to slip the drives in and out.  it also can be configured to slip the drives in front-back, or even from the side.  So I don't even really need the istarusa drive bays unless I plan to do a lot of hot-swapping (which I don't).  I might get one just to try it, and maybe even to use as an emergency transferring bay, like backing up someone else's stuff (even though I have external enclosures for that).

So looks like I'm almost good to go.  I guess the remaining items are the moetherboard, cpu, ram, and expander card choices.  The expander card is what i need help with most, I think.  what card is good for attaching all these drives?  i have one in my notes, i'll post eventually.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version