ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

<< < (11/31) > >>

wraith808:
What specifically did you not like about it?  What features would you have preferred to see as your server box?
-superboyac (August 03, 2013, 02:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Screws for the enclosures.  They're thumb screws, but in a server, I really don't want any screws.  Take off the side to access the inside.  On a server, I like for it to be a door.  Airflow.  It was good for a computer with two drives... but when I really started to use all of the bays as a server, heat became a real problem.  And that cool looking fan was *no* help.  I was also upgrading from a metal case... and I really wish I had a metal case back for my server.  That's just a personal preference.  Getting to the other side.  Not very easy at all.  The one door... like I said, thumbscrews.  But the other door was a pain.  And no motherboard tray.

It's just not a server box, IMO.

superboyac:
What specifically did you not like about it?  What features would you have preferred to see as your server box?
-superboyac (August 03, 2013, 02:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Screws for the enclosures.  They're thumb screws, but in a server, I really don't want any screws.  Take off the side to access the inside.  On a server, I like for it to be a door.  Airflow.  It was good for a computer with two drives... but when I really started to use all of the bays as a server, heat became a real problem.  And that cool looking fan was *no* help.  I was also upgrading from a metal case... and I really wish I had a metal case back for my server.  That's just a personal preference.  Getting to the other side.  Not very easy at all.  The one door... like I said, thumbscrews.  But the other door was a pain.  And no motherboard tray.

It's just not a server box, IMO.
-wraith808 (August 03, 2013, 04:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nice, thanks.

Stoic Joker:
Worst case scenario, i was thinking of modifying the ac system so that one room gets 24/7 ac. i have my license for that, so i should be able to figure that out!-superboyac (August 03, 2013, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Let me save you some time (since I just tried that with our new server room) it won't work. A central A/C unit doesn't cycle fast enough to deal with the localized heating produced by that much equipment. This however will do it quite nicely for about $278.

superboyac:
Worst case scenario, i was thinking of modifying the ac system so that one room gets 24/7 ac. i have my license for that, so i should be able to figure that out!-superboyac (August 03, 2013, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Let me save you some time (since I just tried that with our new server room) it won't work. A central A/C unit doesn't cycle fast enough to deal with the localized heating produced by that much equipment. This however will do it quite nicely for about $278.
 (see attachment in previous post)
-Stoic Joker (August 04, 2013, 08:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nice, thanks man!  That saves me a ton of research.  I'm guessing it has a tube going outside somehow (yes it does, saw the pics).  That's pretty damn convenient for my purposes, brilliant.

Stoic Joker:
It has a drain valve yes, but it hasn't produced a single drop in 3 months.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version