ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

<< < (10/31) > >>

superboyac:
Here's an in-depth review of the iSTARUSA bays that I like.  Just FYI, it's not the latest version of their design, so I don't know what has changed.  What I really want to know is if the whole thing is metal or if the door is still plastic.  Seems like the latching tongue is metal for sure, but not sure about the rest of the door.

superboyac:
For 9-bay cases, the ones that I like are the following:
Antec nine hundred: (see attachment in previous post)I like this one because it has the full 9-bays, but also the huge 200mm fan on top.  Looks kind of hip too.
-superboyac (August 03, 2013, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have this one, and I loved it for my primary box.  Now that its been relegated to my backup box/server... not so much.  For the role that you're anticipating, I personally wouldn't choose it.  And the fan on top doesn't help with heat exchange as much as it might seem that it would.
-wraith808 (August 03, 2013, 02:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
What specifically did you not like about it?  What features would you have preferred to see as your server box?

superboyac:
Here's another review for the istarusa model, this time with the current model.  Still can't tell if it's all metal!  But I think I still prefer this one.  Maybe I'll just get one unit for now and examine it myself:
http://www.motherboards.org/review/istarusa-bpn-de230-drive-enclosure-review

The reviewer says the holes in the front are machined.  That tells me it's metal.  So maybe I'll go with these.

40hz:
^The only fully metal drive bays I'm familiar with are all for the notebook form factor. Most of them use trays too.

FWIW I wouldn't want to put more than 10 fullsize SATA drives in a single tower enclosure, no matter who makes it. 10 drives cranks out about as much heat as I think standard air cooling (and a fan array that won't blast your ears out) could handle.
 :)

superboyac:
^The only fully metal drive bays I'm familiar with are all for the notebook form factor. Most of them use trays too.

FWIW I wouldn't want to put more than 10 fullsize SATA drives in a single tower enclosure, no matter who makes it. 10 drives cranks out about as much heat as I think standard air cooling (and a fan array that won't blast your ears out) could handle.
 :)
-40hz (August 03, 2013, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK, if we take that into consideration, that might actually make the decision easier.  So most of these big towers have 9 bays, so let's say 9 drives per tower max.  that also reduces the cramming of drives into those cages, which should be better for air flow.  For more drives, I'll just duplicate towers...18 drives --> 2 towers, 24 drives--> 3 towers.

and I'll just buy single drive bays from the same manufacturer...here's a good video review:

this is a good option because it maximizes modularity too.  if i want even numbers for whatever reason, i do 8 drives per tower.  and the spare bay i can use for a lcd display for temp or something.  I'm liking this option.

Yes, I'd like it to be as quiet as possible for normal house conditions.  I was wondering if this is a situation where'd i'd have to leave the ac running 24/7 (i don't necessarily like that).  Or can i have a fan on 24/7 and the ac on only when i'm home?  Worst case scenario, i was thinking of modifying the ac system so that one room gets 24/7 ac. i have my license for that, so i should be able to figure that out!

So now, it's looking like...8-9 drives per tower.  No fancy cooling necessary other than fitting the tower with it's default fans.  perhaps a room fan also.  the storage tower(s) can be connected to my current desktop, or i can build a new desktop.  I kind of have this current one doing everything just the way i like, i don't want to install a server OS on it now and go through all that, so maybe i'll make a new one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version