ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

<< < (26/31) > >>

40hz:
Sorry for the confusion. In my case I'm used to seeing RAID included with port multipliers so I forgot a RAID card isn't the only way to do pooling.

RAID technology is not required to just do JBOD although many RAID cards also provide a JBOD option (i.e "drive spanning or pooling" which is not to be confused with RAID-0 "drive striping" although they are somewhat similar in concept).

Just to add to the confusion, have you considered using Gluster? It may be closer to what you want to do since this is a pure scale-out as opposed to scale-up approach. This approach will allow for virtually infinite expansion and flexibility.

Take a look at this:

General intro into the background and design of Gluster:

Intro to techt concepts (kinda long but very interesting IMHO):

Installing a Glsuter server (short):

Creating storage volumes on a Gluster server farm (short):

8)

superboyac:
(I've updated the first post with several components.)
Server experts: please check my motherboard, RAM, and CPU selections and let me know if I'm doing something crazy.  Are they compatible?  Is it too overkill?

40hz:
regarding GlusterFS (I have to finish watching all the links you posted later), what makes me nervous about it is that there isn't too much chatter about it online.  I've heard a lot of good things about ZFS and how reliable it is and proven.  There isn't talk like that about glusterfs yet.  The only bad thing about ZFS is that it's impossible to modify your storage pool architecture once it's set without re-doing it from scratch.  But other that that it is considered the most reliable storage system.  However, regarding that issue, it's not likely I'll be adding drives in and out all the time.  After thinking about it more, with multi-drive pools like this, if I do run out of space, it's probably better to just build another box.  I like this modular approach better now.  SO instead of having a 24 drive unit, I'll have multiple 4-8 drive units.  Easier to carry, easier to build, less stressful planning, and it also seems like a smarter and more reliable way to use groups of drives I have lying around.  Mixing them together in large pools seems to be a worse idea if you're not using enterprise SAS drives.

I was trying to figure out which OS/filesystem should I attempt first?  I was initially thinking Server 2012 R2 because that would be the least painful for me.  But like glusterFS, there doesn't seem to be much talk about it.  I'd rather start with FreeNAS because it seems like if I have issues, I can find the answer easily online.

superboyac:
Looks like I have to be careful about my case selection.  Seems like Supermicro motherboards, even if it says ATX, may not truly be standard:
Supermicro Mobo's have always used proprietary solutions for their boards. For starters most are made to support 2u chassis, for that reason none of them are standard. Second even when they refer to E-ATX. There is no standard for it. Heck half the companies out there switch between calling it AL-ATX and E-ATX, the major issue and will always be an issue with Supermicro is they will always choose willy nilly the position of the connector panel in comparison to mounting points, and that there motherboard can extend higher then ATX above the top mounting point.

So unless you are getting an ATX workstation designed mobo from SM, don't buy a case till you have called the case manufacturer and checked with them on actual support for the particular SM mobo.
--- End quote ---

Stoic Joker:
Seems like Supermicro motherboards, even if it says ATX, may not truly be standard:
-superboyac (August 15, 2013, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

hehe No ... But they are really nice. My server has been running on one for years. Their cases are quite nice also ... Very well made.

superboyac:
Seems like Supermicro motherboards, even if it says ATX, may not truly be standard:
-superboyac (August 15, 2013, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

hehe No ... But they are really nice. My server has been running on one for years. Their cases are quite nice also ... Very well made.
-Stoic Joker (August 15, 2013, 06:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Damn.  I have to contact them and get the dimensions.  I want it to fit in that cooler master case!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version