topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Internet Speed Test  (Read 14382 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Internet Speed Test
« on: August 02, 2013, 02:56 PM »

I just got my internet upgraded less than an hour ago.  So far I'm quite impressed, this Hughes HT1100 Generation 4 modem is quite impressive.  I ran it through several bandwidth speed test from 4 different websites and I'm getting the equivalent of a T2 connection!!!.....

Average speed 13.4 Mbps download and 631 Kbps upload
Max speed 24.9 Mbps download and 7.9 Mbps upload

This is a big jump from my old 1 Mbps system, so I'm a happy puppy at this time....   :Thmbsup:  Now for some much needed surfing....   8)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Internet Speed Test
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:09 PM »
WOOHOO! Nice! There's nothing like SPEED on the Internet! And thank God there are no speed limits. (yet...) ;D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 06:16 PM »
Cool man, good show!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 08:49 PM »
Great speeds. Are there data caps?

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Great speeds. Are there data caps?

As usual, 10 gigs....

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 07:22 PM »
As usual, 10 gigs....

Per month?   :(

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 08:25 PM »
As usual, 10 gigs....

Per month?   :(

Yeah.  No big deal because even if I did use my allowance, throttling me back half way and I'm still on a fast internet connection.   8)

linguistixx

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 11:21 AM »
Speed of the internet itself is one thing, Speed of a certain website is the other thing :=) you can check the speed of your (or any) website with pingdom tools. It is a very handy tool and offers some nice features. just google it and check it out if you are interested in website speed.

regards

Marcel

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Speed of the internet itself is one thing, Speed of a certain website is the other thing :=) you can check the speed of your (or any) website with pingdom tools. It is a very handy tool and offers some nice features. just google it and check it out if you are interested in website speed.

regards

Marcel

Uh....yeah, which is why I ran it on 4 different sites as stated above.....  I also checked it from several different servers in the Southern U.S..

The important thing here is that I've got a really good bandwidth.  If I should come across a slower bandwidth problem then I'll know it's not from my end but from the particular website I'm trying to access.  All the bandwidth in the world isn't going to do you any good if the website your trying to connect to is bogged down from internet traffic.  I also have some tools to look for bottlenecks if I should want to check a slow connection, but I find it's faster just to take a look at another website and see if there's a bandwidth problem from my end.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 05:47 PM »
All the bandwidth in the world isn't going to do you any good if the website your trying to connect to is bogged down from internet traffic.  I also have some tools to look for bottlenecks if I should want to check a slow connection, but I find it's faster just to take a look at another website and see if there's a bandwidth problem from my end.

Nailed it!  :Thmbsup:

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 07:45 PM »

Nailed it!  :Thmbsup:

And I didn't even have a hammer!   :P

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 03:42 PM »
I recently learned about this site: http://testmy.net/

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 05:06 PM »

I'm not to sure about their results. The test gave me 19.9 Mbps down and 3.8 Mbps up...which sounds ok...except for one minor detail. I'm on a 40 Mbps symmetrical fiber connection.

SpeedTest.net gives me 30.04Mbps down and 33.08Mbps up which is a bit more believable, as it's 6pm on a Friday and the (nonbusiness/best effort) bandwidth isn't guaranteed.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Interesting site. It scored me at 24.2 Mbps down and 1.8 Mbps up, which is more or less in line with what I think I'm supposed to get.  Ookla gave it 19.6 and 1.9 using a local server.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 01:41 AM »

I'm not to sure about their results. The test gave me 19.9 Mbps down and 3.8 Mbps up...which sounds ok...except for one minor detail. I'm on a 40 Mbps symmetrical fiber connection.

SpeedTest.net gives me 30.04Mbps down and 33.08Mbps up which is a bit more believable, as it's 6pm on a Friday and the (nonbusiness/best effort) bandwidth isn't guaranteed.

Yeah, I often get similar results. I just changed ISPs. My old ISP package was 5Mb down and 0.5Mb up, with SpeedTest.net often telling me I was actually getting slightly higher speeds (e.g., 5.2Mb down/0.52 up) than that, which made me pretty happy to be getting more than I was paying for. When I got my new ISP, they told me to test out my new, faster speeds using testmy.net. The new speeds I'm paying for are 20Mb down and 1Mb up. But testmy.net frequently tells me I'm getting between 8-13Mb down and about 0.65Mb up. Or in other words, about 50-65% of what I'm paying for.. Yet SpeedTest.net says 19Mb down and 0.8Mb up.

Funny that the new ISP would tell me to use a service that consistently gives lower values when bragging about how much faster their speeds are compared to (what was) my current ISP. . .

Somehow I felt happier about my old ISP's philosophy of "under-promise and over-deliver" compared to my new ISP's philosophy of "over-promise and under-deliver."  :'(

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 04:14 PM »

You have to select the closest test site for the test, and other sites as well.  Plus I use different bandwidth-test websites.  Sometimes I'll get lower results from one site than the other, depending on the bottleneck of the site at that time.....

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 05:31 PM »
The new speeds I'm paying for are 20Mb down and 1Mb up. But testmy.net frequently tells me I'm getting between 8-13Mb down and about 0.65Mb up. Or in other words, about 50-65% of what I'm paying for.. Yet SpeedTest.net says 19Mb down and 0.8Mb up.

My connection is supposed to be 20mb down and 1mb up.
There is a problem with the cable from the street up to the house so I only get 2mbps down and no idea with up.
Yet, speedtest.net says 19mb down and 0.96 up.

Something is awry :-)
Tom

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 04:32 PM »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 05:12 PM »
-sorry, but I really don't trust that "internetfrog" speed test; it's Uniblue!
and they said my download speed was a third of what it actually is!  :down:

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 06:09 PM »
-sorry, but I really don't trust that "internetfrog" speed test; it's Uniblue!
and they said my download speed was a third of what it actually is!  :down:

Like I said before, it all depends on the bottleneck between you and the test site and other factors, which is why your supposed to use more than one tester and more than one test server.  Only thing I don't like about internetfrog is you can't select a test server.  I have no idea what Uniblue is.   :tellme:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 06:20 PM »
Uniblue is a software company that makes debatable software, such as registry cleaners and PC speed up software

Both types of software are hardly worth the bits they occupy on the net, but that is a different subject (and has been discussed already here on DC as well). Uniblue asks for quite some money and keep bothering you with commercial messages.

Hence they have not such a good name.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 04:35 PM »
Uniblue is a software company that makes debatable software, such as registry cleaners and PC speed up software

Both types of software are hardly worth the bits they occupy on the net, but that is a different subject (and has been discussed already here on DC as well). Uniblue asks for quite some money and keep bothering you with commercial messages.

Hence they have not such a good name.

Ah, OK.  Never did any business with those guys.  Whenever there's an interesting program that I'm interested in, if I don't recognize the company I first go to http://badwarebuster...org/community/submit or http://www.sunbeltse...60CC8DE489A124D24BFE and check to make sure they're not on the bad list.