topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Why the NSA Doesn’t Want You to Have a BlackBerry  (Read 4698 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Why the NSA Doesn’t Want You to Have a BlackBerry
« on: July 24, 2013, 09:49 PM »
Here's an interesting article that I'm sure a lot of people here will enjoy.

It really sounds fanboi-ish, but Blackberry fanbois haven't become annoying yet, unlike their Apple counterparts.

http://www.cantechle...ve-a-blackberry0723/

Granted, BlackBerry has done an awful job of marketing these things. What few ads there have been have been weak. They should have licensed the song “Back in Black” and done a bad-ass, kick-ass, in-your-face campaign showing off their new badass line. Oh well. That’s what happens when you let technologists run a company — they create amazing technology but don’t know jack about selling it.

"In a world where every detail of your life is scooped up and sliced and diced until each one of us is living our own little Truman Show, privacy is the enemy. Apple and Google harvest your data and share it with the BlackBerry not only doesn’t harvest your data, it can’t. The technology prohibits it."

That still doesn’t explain the raw hatred for the brand. From whence did this come? Then it dawned on me: Of all the incredible features on this thing, privacy is the one that certain powerful people probably wouldn’t like.

What I do know is that rocking a BlackBerry makes them work a bit harder at turning my life into the Truman Show.

Definitely a refreshing read compared to most of the drivel out there. But then again, I'm very partial to articles that manage to sound like they were written by a human, and not a PR department.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why the NSA Doesn’t Want You to Have a BlackBerry
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 08:00 AM »
Nobody wants you to have a Blackberry!

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:39 AM »
Nobody wants you to have a Blackberry!
BlackBerry's executives have certainly done their part to convince you not to buy one.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 09:51 AM »
Hahaha! :D

I actually do a lot of work in the mobile handset sector for a large manufacturer, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for RIM. I guess I sort of root for the underdog sometimes.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 10:15 AM »
I'd love it if they could get it together and stop operating from the "How Not To Handle Disruptive Competition" playbook. I certainly have a lot of respect for their engineers. I still probably wouldn't buy a BlackBerry but more serious competition (2 players is not enough) is better for everyone in the long run. The problem is they keep blaming everything but themselves for their market failures. All the engineering in the world can't fix that.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 10:23 AM »
I'd love it if they could get it together and stop operating from the "How Not To Handle Disruptive Competition" playbook. I certainly have a lot of respect for their engineers. I still probably wouldn't buy a BlackBerry but more serious competition (2 players is not enough) is better for everyone in the long run. The problem is they keep blaming everything but themselves for their market failures. All the engineering in the world can't fix that.

+1

What I'd LOVE to see is a decoupling (or detripling as the case may be) of the hardware manufacturer + software manufacturer + carrier marriage/bigamy.

But the anti-competitiveness goes much, much deeper than just that.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 02:54 PM »

+1

What I'd LOVE to see is a decoupling (or detripling as the case may be) of the hardware manufacturer + software manufacturer + carrier marriage/bigamy.

But the anti-competitiveness goes much, much deeper than just that.
+100000