ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Is it appropriate to post a prospective page for opinions?

<< < (5/6) > >>

wraith808:
I guess I disagree with Renegade regarding "nobody cares about features" -- I'd rather see a feature list than a hand-wavey description of how a program is going to solve my problems.

But I think in general we are all in agreement that the home page should be clearer about what the program actually DOES.
-mouser (July 20, 2013, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it really depends on the audience.  More techy people like those at DC are going to want features and a breakdown- while those that are more removed from the computers to I just want to use it won't.

There are a lot of people who seem to think that putting off disclosing their price sheet until the last possible moment is a sharp sales strategy. It isn't. It's just annoying.
-40hz (July 21, 2013, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

My rule of thumb is that if there's no price on it, I can't afford it. Then I move one.

-Renegade (July 21, 2013, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

This.

And on the subject of the three sites, I like the third one the best, though there are still problems to me.

First, the reason I like the third one the best..   The colors on the first two are drab.  The dark gray on gray tends to let the eye wander and doesn't flow as well for your viewing.  The red list of features on the second one seems out of place.  The image is a good touch... but it's too close to the button.  The third one is brighter, and though I tend to hate that personally, is better for showing a product.  The flow of the page is better, and the visible black line at the bottom ends the page, much as a period in a sentence.  Even though there is the same spacing between the image and the button, the white background makes it seem less cramped.  I think you could improve it, however.

1. Move the image to the center and put the button below.  
2. Between the image and the button, put the endorsement.
3. Use the same format on the left under the reasons to use the tool... but make the actual text the text from the second one.
4. It might actually be better with a single centered column rather than multiple columns- again, to lead your visitor to the download button as they read.
5. The location of the share buttons are problematic.  I'd actually probably put them at the bottom under the download buttons.  But if not there, definitely not where they are.
6. I don't like the color of the gradient. I like the idea... but if it were me, I'd work with the colors a bit more.

note-taker:
This is a quick thank-you-all note for your thoughtful input, I'll share my opinion some time tomorrow.  Got to put a fire out now.

Renegade:
I think it really depends on the audience.  More techy people like those at DC are going to want features and a breakdown- while those that are more removed from the computers to I just want to use it won't.
-wraith808 (July 21, 2013, 04:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't mean to say "don't list features", but rather instead of *focusing* on features, focus on the benefits and how it will make life easier for people.

A lot of sites have those box-styled feature pages where they have a graphic for each feature with a name and perhaps 1 sentence. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're really useless. However, the basic idea is good. They generally describe the benefit in the description.

Excellent examples of just how piss poor most are can be found in server software. They list all kind of things, but don't bother to mention what OS or web server they work with. Lack of detail and lots of fluff.

But fluff works for a lot of people. And it's great as a starting point. It's not great for those who want/need more information when that's all there is.

That block format is easily improved by adding detailed descriptions that can be expanded or that link to a dedicated page.

note-taker:
" the home page should be clearer about what the program actually DOES.", how could I have missed that?  Thank YOU!

note-taker:
And here's my new attempt,
http://www.knowledgenotebook.com/index2.html

You'll see a technical problem...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version