ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Feature Request Thread

<< < (6/9) > >>

DBJordan:
I'd love a configurable shortcut key to run Find&Run. I have one of those F-Lock keyboards (darn you, Microsoft). Since I keep F-Lock on all the time, I must first press the F-Lock key then the Pause/Break key then the F-Lock key again everytime I want to bring up Find&Run. I would simply remap the keyboard scan codes, but since there's apparently no scan code for pause/break, I can't exactly do that. =)

Anyway, if I could use another key (e.g., scroll lock) to active Find&Run, that would really help me get around the limitations of my keyboard.

mouser:
this is way overdue - i will add a custom hotkey option to dialog on next version.

kfitting:
I think the regex idea is great... provided documentation on it is high quality!  I hadnt thought of it the way you wrote it Mouser, but I think that's a great idea (the parts I can wrap my head around!).  Could you please expound on the idea?  I understand exaclty how this works with a web url, but what else will it allow people to do?  I'm NOT saying it doesnt sound useful, to the contrary it sounds extremely powerful; I just need a few more examples.  Particularly, does this take on any of the functionality discussed above with regard to the whole config file idea?  Great idea!

Kevin

Chris:
Another feature!

I like the idea of launching a favourite using this program. I would like the option of also searching the actual URL for the text. There could be 2 options in the search folder, one names and the second(which would be slower) the URL. Hence the slower option can be put down on the list.

There are 2 program that do have the capability of searching both name and/or URL, but neither show the results on the fly. There are DzSoft Favorites Search at http://www.dzsoft.com/ and the second is Quick Favorites Search at http://chris.id.au/

Regards

Chris

mouser:
re: searching url titles:

the idea of searching favorites by title is a good one..
this definitely does get into the idea we have been discussing about having different kinds of searches configured,
which i still haven't figure out 100%.  but yeah i think we should be able to add that as an option.

re: regex
this doesn't really touch on the idea of multiple configurations, but basically it would let you set up any kind of commands you could want.
for example, you might want to add a command to create a new blank file in a certain directory and open it for editing.
so you might make a command like
medit (.*)

which executed a command like "C:\Program Files\UltraEdit.exe C:\MyDocuments\$1"

so that if you typed in f&r
"medit notes"

then it would launch ultraedit and create/open the file C:\MyDocuments\notes.

basically it would let you configure any phrases to execute any applications or scripts.

as another example, you might have a program that you tend to launch with different commandline parameter,etc.
you could add some command phrases to let you indicate how to open it.

like typing:
firefox proxy
might be set to open up firefox using a certain proxy configuration
etc.  basically you could use regular expressions to be able to let you specify the exact form of the command and any arguments that would need to be passed to the program or script.

and i'm open to adding more special functions/scripts so that you can type things that will cause text to be pasted in the current app, etc., like i know some other programs do.

this is all pretty straightforward actually.

the real lingering difficult issue is that raised by kfitting and cracksloth about how to best organize for supporting multiple different kinds of searchers that can be switched between, especially for those who want to use f&r as a file searcher rather than an app launcher.

it's actually tempting to think about adding a different "mode" to f&r which would have a bigger results window, not limited to a small number of results, with easier way to indicate where to search, and maybe support for things like letting you search mp3 tags, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version