ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Feature Request Thread

<< < (3/9) > >>

mouser:
this is getting interesting..

cracksloth, lol still can't say that name with a straight face :), can you explain a little more how you view the mini file explorer being shown?

i'm confused as to how it would integrate with the current window?  are we saying that we would still have only 1 results window, but now it would be a mini file browser?  how would it show 10 results from different locations?

or are we talking about my idea where you would have a mini file browser docked to the bottom of the main window which would jump to the location of the clicked item?

regeular expressions aren't hard to add, there are some good free libraries for them.. but they would slow down search quite a bit when used.

doesn't it seem like all these ideas are suggesting a separate program, a file searcher? which regex support, support for searching inside files, etc.? aren't there already good free tools for this?  or should this be a separate product?

kfitting:
I see it both ways mouser, and personally, I think it's up to you.  On the one hand it does seem somewhat natural to extend FindRun's capabilities with a minibrowser et al.  However, I can also see where this may be going against what you had in mind at the beginning.  Here are my thoughts about some of these features:

- I think it would be kind of neat to see different config files made available (perhaps tabs with shortcuts [alt-1, or something] would be the easiest). 

- Also, I think it would cool to be able to have a list of extensions that are allowed.  Currently, you can say which extensions arent allowed, but this requires tedious entry of the many extensions one has on their computer! 

- Also, It would be handy to have the option to select multiple files to open (rather than the one we have now). 

- And, to extend this further, if you allow multiple selections, regular expressions would be nice, since being able to filter results like that would make up for a fair amount of increased time.

However, is it worth putting a whole filebrowser on?  Dont know!  I can see benefits, I can see your arguments.  Personally, FindRun, in its latest variation, has reached usability for me.  Any further enhancements are merely icing on the cake (so long as no major bugs are added, heh heh!).  Sure there are tweaks here and there that would be nice but... it's a slick, unbloated, handy, fast, cheap, and an awesome little program all in one!  Your program, your features,

Kevin

mouser:
as for extensions, i think you should be able to type .mp3 in search window to restrict search to those with .mp3 extensions.

it would be relatively easy (and easy to toggle on and off) the use of a panel under main window which was a mini file brower with full right click menu, drag and drop, etc. and i think that approach might yield the biggest pay off in functionality for the least amount of work, and the least impact on main gui...

cracksloth:
okay, i have attached two mock screenshots.  the first one should be familiar.  it reflects how f&r could look after these changes we talked about.  there is no difference except that i took the liberty of changing the titlebar to reflect the currently loaded config file (called "Document Search.frr").  the config file is telling the f&r window to display the search "plugin" (the search plugin is good for launching programs or finding documents or listing music just depending on how it is configured).  the second mock screenshot is how f&r would look if a config file called "Minibrowser.frr" is loaded.  this config file tells f&r to load the mini browser plugin.  by virtue of being explorer, it would also be possible for the mini browser plugin to also show a website (if any users find this useful).

i think this method of displaying the minibrowser is much better than attaching it to the bottom of f&r.  by pressing home, users would visit the folder containing the config files (*.frr).  by double clicking one, the user could switch back to any other configuration.

like i said, this way would create minimal impact on f&r yet it would increase its usability.  it is important to keep in mind that f&r is *already* a search utility.  multiple configs would just allow users to search for filetypes other than shortcuts.  i really hope that it is maintained within the same tool rather than splitting it up because there is so much overlap between the functions, i would hate to have two programs loaded.

anyway, just my 2 cents... err..  buck fifty

-cracksloth

mouser:
first let me say how much i appreciate the work put into making mock screenshots, it really does help..

but from the mini browser screenshot, im a little confused how it would be used.
it just shows a window showing contents of a specific directory? and you can select directories from the dropdown combo box? there is no search functionality in this mode?

in other words, so if you launch f&r in minibrowser mode, is there ANY functionality from the normal f&r?  aliases etc? there is no place to type any search as i understand it.. im just a bit confused as to how this mini browser has any functionality related to f&r..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version