ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Feature Request Thread

(1/9) > >>

mouser:
Let's put feature requests here.

i'll start with the feature requests in to f&r todo list:

when set to display relative path, display parent path if the relative path is \
separate words should act as AND searches rather than phrases
search patterns on full paths and extensions?
add scripts
add heuristic points for recent access based on access date stamps
get list of recently run apps from system
checkboxes to choose columns in details mode
add general hotkey support
Folder name searching
Ability to use \ to specify dir name pattern (so graph\photo would match graphics\photoshop)..
Ability to specify an extension with a . (so photo.exe would match photoshop.exe)
Ability to drag files from the box outward from app into other program
ability to right click and get normal shell context menu
Customizable sound effect when launching?
Right click to add current item to an alias.
Speed up loading of ini files.
Add toolbar for custom icons
add ability to specify custom file browser + internet browser
Improve icon

mouser:
regarding previous requests for some kind of ability to open web pages or conduct google searches.

i was thinking i could expand the functionality of the alias list to allow such things, by saying that if the first word matches an alias,
then any remaining words would be treated as arguments that could be referred to on commandline launch of alias.

so for example you could define the alias "go"
with commandline: "C:\program files\internet explorer\iexplorer.exe %args%"

then if you typed into the box:
go www.donationcoder.com

it would launch
"C:\program files\internet explorer\iexplorer.exe %args%"

you could use the same exact approach to add an alias to conduct google searches.

the only other thing i can think of that might be nice to add to that is
maybe an ability to specify a mask to match the arguments

so that you could create an alias called "go"
and it would trigger a different commandline depending on whether the arguments that follow start with "http" or not.

kfitting:
Woohoo, feature requests! Quick comment: isnt "\" already in use to search for a number?  Incidentally, the latest version (1.15.16, I believe) is fully functional and I havent noticed problems with it!  Awesome awesome awesome program!

Kevin

Scott:
I was going to post this until I saw it here already:

ability to right click and get normal shell context menu
--- End quote ---

That would be awesome.  :)

mouser:
being able to righ click to get normal shell extension is definitely planned (youll see it in todo list in help file alread).

kfitting you are right about \, we'll have to figure out how to solve that.

in addition to the posts here i've talkedwith cracksloth (and before that kfitting) over email about a whole bunch of new features which are great ideas.. (forum is always better so others can comment!)

one thing that does occur to me though, and it holds for the ideas in the forum about tabs and different config files, is that F&R is being torn between two purposes,

one is as a tiny fast keyboard application LAUNCHER.
the other is as a file search tool.

these are somewhat conflicted purposes.

in the first case, being able to do everything from keyboard is key, and one wants a small window, and wont be switching between configuration files, etc.

in the second case, when using as a file searcher (and i note that are tons of file searchers already, so i give this second priority), its not so important if user needs to use mouse - whats more desirable is flexible use of results (hence right-click contextmenu, drag&drop, etc.)
and as i understand it, what users are interested in F&R as a file searcher is to be able to more efficiently search for common stuff.
so in this case would be nice to be able to quickly select from some preset kinds of searches (ie tabs for mp3s. etc).

i think its important to remember that F&R's main purpose is the first case, to be used as a launcher.
i'm definitely open to thinking about ways to make it useful as a search tool, but only if these can be done without infringing on its functionality as a launcher.

i was thinking that one way to do this would be to have an optional panel at the bottom that you could toggle on and off.
this panel would be a mini file browser, such that when you clicked on a found result, it would jump to that location in the mini file browser panel, where you could do normal file operations, etc.

this panel could also include buttons for quick-loading of different configuration files for different settings/directories..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version