ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > MEWLO Web Framework

The Mewlo web framework - I'm Looking for Teammates

<< < (2/3) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
I have restarted my Yumps project from scratch, this time coding in Python.
-mouser (July 17, 2013, 09:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

And I'd like to know what the behind-the-scenes emphasis on Python is!

I've heard about the famous usage of "spacing as syntax" (I think it's about removing those hanging section braces for a "cleaner" look, right?)

But what was it before, and why did that require/inspire a language change, and of all the choices, why Python? I'd thought Python was more of a "middle-app" language that began to creak at the seams for huge projects!

mouser:
However, and I'm sorry if I'm being a bit thick, but what exactly is the advantage of building Mewlo from scratch instead of being an extension of django, drupal or something like that?
--- End quote ---

This is a question I've struggled with myself.
And I think writing it as a massive set of extensions of Django *would* make sense and would be a viable approach.

But I think there are advantages to starting with a clean slate. The primary one is having control over everything and being able to create a single coherent vision and API.

There is a special freedom and satisfaction that comes from building your own system from the ground up, and that's part of it.  It's true that there is more work involved in the beginning, but the advantages of being able to control all of the moving pieces and understanding all of the parts are substantial.

So really I think the answer to your question is that, while it will take longer to do this way, it will result in a more consistent, focused framework that is more enjoyable to code and maintain.

mouser:
If you are a competent coder with Python experience, who is interested in being part of a small team developing a serious, large, long term open source project, I'd like to have you be part of the team.

There is currently no funding for the work, and there may never be.  But it should be a great experience.  If you are a student looking for an independent project or someone looking for an internship for your resume, this could be a good fit.

rgdot:
mouser, a project the way/like you are explaining definitely needs its own site.

TaoPhoenix:

But can you get any traction to make progress? As an outsider, when I read tech stories, I giggle a little when a few otherwise well meaning groups doing useful stuff get hyper conservative with version numbers and you get something like:
"After 12 years of developent, we are releasing Alpha 0.03".

Then again I do that myself, but at least I don't claim to have any timeline! : )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version